the molting foot

yesterday morning evelyn and i made another pilgrimage to footbridge.  my pal euguene cut off my cast.  it was just a 'u' cast so the top part was all fluff.  the first thing i saw was the bandage covering my foot was soaked in blood.  then he took that off and my eyes popped out of my head when i saw my incision.  it was a huge L down my ankle onto my foot.  it looked gruesome.  eugene said it looked great.  i asked him to take a pic for me.  we talked about how he lives his life looking at wounds all the time.  he said sometimes he gets pics of wounds in his email and it will come to his phone and his 9 year old daughter will be like "what's that??" and he will be like "that's a healthy healing wound..."  haha.  anyway, ya.  as i've said a hundred times since then, no wonder i was in so much pain.  they split me open!  just another addition the franken-foot.

paul, who i have been guilty of calling bruce...i'm pretty sure he said paul this time, gave me an extra few tramadol just in case. he also explained some things i didn't know about naproxen.  which is if you take it you should pair it with the medication for acid. good to know.  also naproxen stunts bone growth so they don't like you to take a lot.  also good to know.  i feel like the actual surgeons should be the ones to explain your meds to you. 

paul thought i might have to come back to get my stitches out because my foot was swollen. but when dr. andi came in she said i could have them out.  she said she doesn't worry about me because i have always been good.  i beamed with an angel halo.  she said i would have to start moving my foot A LOT.  she really emphasizes her words.  then she touched me on the shoulder and looked deep into my eyes and said "you are going to have a BEAutiful foot.  are you excited?" "ya, i'm excited to walk again" i said, "i'm excited," she said "it's going to be a BEAUTIFUL foot!"

this week i start 25% weight bearing.  that basically means your foot is on the floor while you crutch but you don't put a lot of pressure on it.  i decided to try it last night.  i decided to crutch it to the washroom.  the goal is that i will stop using scoot altogether...eventually.  so by the time i got to the bathroom i was shaking all over, my good leg was shaking so hard in exhaustion it was about to liquify to jelly, i was drenched in sweat, head to toe, and i had a splitting headache that went away as soon as i sat down.  what have i done? i thought as i sat on the toilet and parts of me started to evaporate into the air... i still have to go back.  i waited a while.  it was a struggle just to stand up and pull up my pants.  i whipped myself in the inner thigh by accident with the back scratcher while trying to pull up my pants.  lol.  i sat down again.  i stood up and did some more.  eventually i headed back to the bedroom.  i made it as fat as the hope chest just inside the door and sat down with a thump, heaving heavy breaths and pounding chest.  i pulled scoot towards me with my crutch and did the last few steps on scoot.

well i guess 2 months bed rest don't do your cardio any favours.  not to mention your muscle mass.  at least i have beefy.  this morning after praying about the issue i came up with a plan to only make one way trips.  scoot to the bathroom, crutch back to the bedroom, crutch to the bathroom, scoot back to the bedroom.  i also thought about how i could use the crutches better.  and so i did that and today it went a lot better.  no near death experiences on any of the trips. 

i also have to move my foot up and down like on a pedal.  and i have to wiggle my stiff toes manually and by themselves.  4-5 times a day.  and i'm keen to do it.  anything that prepares me for freedom--i'm all in.

my foot is molting.  all the skin is peeling off. i think it's ready to be it's new beautiful self. 

today evelyn came in the morning, made me peanut butter toast and a bowl of watermelon and blueberries, fed izzy, watered the plants, and made me a sandwich in a tupperware that i could grab myself for lunch.  she makes a good sandwich.  my dinner was also in a tupperware--leftovers of a meal that was brought on sunday.  so i've been a lone the rest of the day.  i managed ok.

and now i sleep. i'm so tired.






sweating from using crutches dripping face and slick arms...
fatima showed her girls the foot pics and these are their reactions.  too cute.




Comments

Jeannie said…
They certainly are too cute. What are their names. All your blog's sound really familiar. I guess it is because you texted me a lot of this stuff as we went along.