the beefiest

my house got super muggy last night. it was almost 10pm when i ventured out to the kitchen on scoot to wash my hair in the sink. my arms were instantly slick and my knee slid around in a pool of sweat on the kneeling pad. i fed a hungry kitty and started setting up at the sink. that's when i inadvertently knocked a glass off the counter. it crashed to the ground right behind eating izzy. she went skittering off in alarm and glass shattered  across the floor in all directions. i made a few ginger steps out of the minefield and back to my room. i locked izzy in with me.  she was vocally displeased. then i texted all my people. jane was asleep. ev's phone was dead.  josaidy was in kamloops.  i gotta deal with this myself i said. so i strapped on my shoe and rolled out with my kitty close on the wheel. i managed to sweep the worst of it into a rough pile and covered it up with the dustpan.  evelyn called after. she was on her way home from a backyard jazz event in vancouver and was very willing to come by and help but i felt it could wait until the next day by that time.

as it was jane saw my text the next morning and surprised me by appearing suddenly in my bedroom.  with the fan going i don't hear people coming.  she swept it up and when ev came she did an all over sweep to catch the hidden bits.  

i started writing this on monday afternoon from the clinic.  they told me there would be an hour to an hour and a half wait.  dr. andi gets behind, you just know that that is probably the case every time you go there, so it's not that big of a deal.  but the front end staff were particularly flustered on monday.  there was hardly anyone in the waiting room when we got there which i thought, (wrongly), was a good sign.  ev asked how long it would be because she wanted to go grab a bite to eat.  they said dr. andi had been really behind but now it was only about a 30 minute wait.  so ev left. then a few minutes later another one of the staff came up to me to say she was really sorry but it would be a an hour to an hour and a half wait.  this is the part that is strange, she said i was welcome to go out and enjoy the weather and they would call me when it was time.  "um i'll stay here." i said looking kind of pointedly at my scooter and cast.  i saw them give the same suggestion to other people on crutches and scooters.  haha. like where do they expect us to go?!  gallivant around china town with our mobility aids?  we are supposed to rest with our foot up all.the.time.  we can't go out for lovely jaunts.  lol.  anyways i just thought it was kind of funny and weird that they didn't seem to comprehend who they were talking to. i think they were just too focused on the time aspect.  but anyways i didn't have to wait that long in the waiting room after all, so it's a good thing i didn't head out on a tour of sun yat sen garden.

but i was waiting in the beds and curtains area for quite a while.  there was a lot going on back there.  eugene and i greeted each other like old friends.  he took a look at my stitches and said he was pretty confident they would come out.  but a dr. had to look at it first and give him the go ahead.  there was a non verbal person across the way getting a cast.  she didn't like it.  i didn't see her so i have no idea whether she was a child or an elderly woman, but my guess was elderly because the caretaker's voice was elderly, probably her husband...but who knows.  that's just the story my imagination told.  the lady beside me was getting a new cast and eugene and her chatted about the technician at st. paul's who did the current cast.  he was impressed and then found out it was his old friend that he went through training with.  he said he didn't trust anyone at st.paul's for casts except her.  another lady had an xray mix up.  xrays have to be at st. paul's, mount st. joseph, or ubc.  they can't access the xrays from the clinic across from st. paul's.  gah.  

finally dr. andi came.  she was by herself.  she said the stitches could come out.  she told me to bring my boot and crutches to the operation next week.  then she started moving my foot all around.  she tugged at my 2nd toe rather painfully and confided in my that i may have to have that toe raised too. she said she was keeping an eye on it.  all the other toes are in place now.  she said in a cavo varus foot (my particular deformity) the toes cascade down.  then she said it couldn't be done now because a foot is like a sausage and she doesn't want it to split open.  she loves this foot as a sausage metaphor.  then she cheerfully suggested that 'just for fun' we compare my two feet.  i thought she meant at the end of the bed so i swung my hanging left foot up. no she wanted them both over the side.  no she wanted me to stand.  stand?? yes, she encouraged.  put my foot on the floor?  yes she smiled.  so i placed it gingerly there beside my sandaled left foot.  put a tiny bit of pressure she said, so i did.  then i had to turn around.  she said my heel was perfect.  so that's excellent.  

when we got home my sheets and my mattress topper had finally arrived. evelyn retrieved them all. she opened up the topper to fluff out on the porch overnight.  i don't know if it was the outing and the strain of climbing the stairs or what but i was so exhausted the rest of the day.  but i did manage to eat hot dogs and greek salad for dinner.

tuesday norm and jane came over in the morning and put the topper on my bed.  4 inches of memory foam.  so soft and sinky.  it's like laying on a cloud.  my butt and hips thanked me.  but before i climbed on i took a picture.  izzy jumped on and started licking her paw growth.  i didn't notice right away but it was BLEEDING.  ack!  so i've already done some spot cleaning.  i locked izzy out the rest of the afternoon to bleed on the floor.  which she did.

that night i washed my hair in the sink.  it's a lot of effort but it feels soooo much better to have fresh hair.  plus i really cooled myself off because i totally drenched my garment top in the process.  

i eat most of my meals at the kitchen table now.  how could i be any more legit?  thanks beefy left leg for lifting me up from chairs.  you're the beefiest!

today is world chocolate day and i want to celebrate.





Comments

Jeannie said…
Overconfident slap happy people like you need a cautious accident anticipator helper like me. There is many an accident that has not happened around here because I realize my slap happy overconfident better half now also has fumble fingers, insensitive feet and autrcious balance so I choose plastic whenever possible.πŸ˜πŸ˜‡ it's instinctive, sorry that gene didn't get throughπŸ€”πŸ˜–πŸ’™