picker-uppers

i put on a bra for no reason.  i was talking with leilani on the phone.  i told her i was getting set apart for my new calling tomorrow.  then i got a case of the doubts.  oh maybe it is tonight, i thought.  i checked my text from stewart.  in my mind i thought he sent it yesterday.  his text said they would come tomorrow to set me apart.  i was like oh no it's tonight!  i better put pants on and put on a bra!  i got all ready and waited and waited.  then i checked the text.  he sent it this morning.  hmph.  this could have been a bra and pants free day today.

this morning jane gave me the customary freshie fresh slaw, and apple chunks for breakfast.  she held up a package of chicken and bacon sacchetini.  "is it ok if i cook this?" she asked.  "sure." i shrugged, thinking that's kind of weird.  maybe she is thinking about what to make for lunch, i thought.  but no, later she brought in a steaming bowl.  "the soup is too hot.  you have to wait a bit." she said.  "soup?" i asked.  she told me that in china they have little dumplings like that and they make a soup with it.  so that's what she did and she put my green onions in it.  it was very good.  it was kind of a giant breakfast.

today was my second day back to work (from my bed).  i cannot tell you how good it is to be back.  the day goes by so much faster and i forget all about my foot and can go hours without noticing the pain or discomfort of the cast.  and it is so good to be with my pathways family again, laughing and working...good stuff.

i heard something tumbling down the stairs today.  jane told me it was a broom.  this is the excitement of my life right now.  i haven't yet gone back to the porch bed that heather made up for me on the weekend.  i'm a teensy bit anxious of going there by myself in case i get into difficulties.  plus i will need help getting pillows and stuff out there.  so far work has been enough of an element of change to satisfy me.

last night colin dropped off some mochi muffins for me and some nuts, figs and apples from karim.  colin, my coworker, is very careful with the covid. i told him he can just leave it on the table.  later on a pee run, i made a detour to the kitchen to see what he brought.  i took the mochi muffins back to bed with me.  they were super yummy.  don't know what a mochi muffin is? i won't tell you.

jane brought me a picker-upper thing yesterday and i was picking things up with it in the kitchen and i dropped it.  what do you use to pick up and picker-upper?  obviously you need a back up picker-upper.  i kind of laughed to myself and left it.  what could i do?

i've been thinking of ways i can be more independent.  how could i feed izzy myself if i needed to?  on monday morning i attempted it.  there was a clean bowl on the fridge. i used that  and put the food in. i could lean down almost to the floor, and then i chucked it the rest of the way.  lol. izzy seemed surprised but not put out by it.  i was brushing my teeth at the sink when jane came in.  my crutches promptly fell to the ground. (i was leaning on the counter and kneeling on the scooter). "hi jane, i'm glad you are here." i said.

I've passed the 2 week mark. one more week of continual foot up. i can last until then! 

i just figured out how to shut my bedroom door while seated on my bed with the long arm of my crutch!  this is faaantastic because izzy never leaves at convenient times like when i am coming back from a pee run.

last week i had a "tumble" as dr andi likes to say. i lost my balance in the dark reaching for my crutches and took a partial step down on my bad foot, lifted up in horror, and fell back, my heel crashing down hard. mostly i felt kind of pins and needles rather than pain. and fear that i had ruined it all.  i was alone that night. i was crying and trying to get up on the bed. my first attempt failed so i said a prayer and felt a calm reasonable prompting "get up like you go up the stairs." so i did and got on the bed easily. ella downstairs texted me to see if i was ok. no doubt she heard the thunder and my yelps. i went pee took 2 pain pills and went to bed. in the morning i felt ok. just a little more sore of heel but i called the clinic to tell them. the lady on the phone said it sounded like i was alright but she called back 10 min later to say i needed to get xrays and come in that day.

yumi drove me. it was my first time down the stairs and the first time outside since surgery. i managed to dress myself and thanks to my practice w heather the stairs went smoothly.

the hospital was exhausting. we were sent the wrong way which resulted in a lot of extra scooting. which wore me right out. by the time we got to radiology i was a sweaty quivering mess. i asked for a wheel chair. their wheel chairs are the best. so high and wide and high backed. 10 out of ten would wheel again. yumi took my scooter back to the car and i was whisked off to xray where they pushed me to my limit and my limit was climbing a set of stairs on wheels. no. no way. they found creative ways to work around it. i appreciated it.

after the hospital we had to wait for our appointment so we naturally got ice cream buns. thank the Lord the elevator was working at footbridge because all my other times there it was not and i had to take the many stairs. we waited a long time in the wait room. then i waited a long time on a bed. i could hear dr andi talking to other patients. there was a poor guy with messed up knees. finally one of dr andi's underlings came to talk to me. he said my xrays were fine and no reason to take off my splint. next guy comes in, "hi I'm here to take off your splint." haha. dr andi makes me laugh. she is so thorough and she makes her underlings look silly sometimes. 

so i saw my foot. i have named it franken-foot. there are stiches running all over and around it. i wanted to tak a pic but i didn't have my phone in reach. gah. i vow to take one on friday.

the guy said I'll get another splint. but then cheery, confident bustling dr andi comes in to take a look. she asked me about my fall and probably called me something like "muffin" or "cutie," and said " and why don't we put her in a cast just until her appointment next week in case she takes another tumble." winks at me.

so I'm in a cast. sometimes it is uncomfy. like if my foot swells.

ok good night.

Comments

Jeannie said…
Since you were so nasty not to share what a mochi muffin was I had to look it up so I know what they are so there. Do you realize how fabulously blessed you are to have a job that pays you good money that you actually love and that helps so many people so much and validates you in the process? I would say not a very high percentage of the world's workers have that.
Laura said…
thank you for that reaction. haha.

yes, i know I'm uber blessed.