endured and survived

 sunday at heather's was nice.  i had zoom church and she went to in-person church.  i attended my zoom rs and hers started about 30 minutes into mine.  we made it work.  we had more watermelon and pulled pork buns.  we had the last of the banoffee.

we headed back to richmond after 6pm.  it was shocking to step out of the house into the oven of outside.  we managed the big step out of heather's place keeping the monkey climb in mind, makes such things quite simple.  this time we put down the yoga block for my foot to rest on and it was somewhat of a more comfortable ride.

we stopped off at my house to get my bra, the shower chair and to feed and water izzy.  i delegated these things to my trusty heather and sat with the door open and my foot resting up on a crutch bridge.  during this time my front neighbour came out.  she told me that she was also recovering from surgery.  she had her gallbladder removed. we empathized with each other.

heather drove me to evelyn's.  i stayed over there for 2 nights.  evelyn and rob were both so nice.  that night they gave me a blue freezie and rob told me the long and super interesting tale of the time he lived in israel in the 80s.  it was super fascinating.  

i stayed in their guest room.  it has an animal print cover and many pillows and a in-suite bathroom.  they had a tall fan pointed directly at me and i could control it with a remote.  

the next morning ev brought me an omelet and toast on a tray with a stand and some ice water.  one of the things i really enjoyed about their house was the never ending supply of ice.  ice! ice is the best!  i worked for a while and then at 11 ev and i made the trek downtown to footbridge to get my stitches out.  we found parking in front and went up the elevator with no issues.  when we opened the door to footbridge a welcome blast of icy air greeted us.  but we had to wait outside because the waiting room was full.  we sat in shadow on the ledge out in the courtyard but the cement was hot and warmed our bums.  eventually we went in and got a seat and i saw an older lady with a scooter like mine but she had a basket and a cushion for her knee. i scowled at her and gave her a shove.  just kidding i of course complimented her on her snazzy scooter and she blushed and drawled "gawwsh!"..

dr. andi wasn't in.  i saw my new pal eugene the wound guy.  3rd time with eugene.  i also saw bruce one of the 'fellows' who was in on my operation.  they call her underlings 'fellows'.  they are orthopedic surgeons who are learning more about the specialty of foot and ankle, for example.  dr. andi is also a knee expert.  i heard here tell a guy that she was the best in bc for his knee problem.  anyways.  bruce said some of the stitches had to stay because my skin was maserated.  that makes me think 'chewed' but it means the skin is soggy and soft and white like when you leave your hands in dishwater too long for example (never happens to me).  i have to change my bandage every day and put iodine on it. i go back and see eugene again on monday.  yay...then it will only be a week until my next cutting.

on the way home evelyn got me a raspberry slushie from mcdonald's and it was divine. she bought watermelon and cherries that night.

the next day i got toast with fig jam and watermelon. in the morning there was an incident with the toilet.  so looking at it i could see it was one of those low mouth ones.  i don't know if you know what i mean, but i know what i mean.  it looked like there might be some toilet paper already stuck in the hole but i didn't think much of it.  and i did my morning daily if you know what i mean.  so basically i flush while still sitting down.  then i felt i wanted to clean up some more and so i did.  but something was not right.  when i stood up i saw that the bowl was full to the top.  plugged.  with extra toilet paper on top of it all because i didn't know!  i just love clogging toilets in other people's homes.

i left it.  i hoped against hope that time would resolve it.  it did not.  around lunch time i checked and the water went down but it came right back up when i tried to flush.  so i knew i would have to talk to ev about it.  so i did.  i asked for a plunger and said i could work on it myself.  she gave me some boiling water to pour down.  that's what crystal said to do.  but in the end it was inevitable--both her and robert were in there working on my poop soup bowl.  gah.  it all got cleared up but, yah, wonderful.  they said that toilet was notorious for plugging.

that night robert made us pizza with a crust and everything and i came out and sat at the table while they prepared it.  i grated the cheese.  sitting at the table--it's still kind of hard and uncomfortable.  even though i had my foot on a chair.  i'm not totally ready for such things.  but it was nice to sit in a kitchen like a regular person and not skulk in a bedroom prison.

robert is in the bishopric so he was telling us about the email that 2 hour singing unrestricted church is back on so were talking all about that.  we also talked more about trips and 

it started to cool down a little more so we decided to go home that night.  but first evelyn helped me wash my hair in the laundry sink.  i made the water cool and it felt divine running over my neck. on the way i told her about my 2014 brush with love and loss.  she never asked me about it before.  we stopped for a slushie again.  ev gets a diet coke light on ice.  i think ice is a beautiful thing.  

izzy was meowing like crazy for a while after i got home but she settled down after multiple pets that went on and on.  insatiable furry.

this morning a woke up and emerged from my room to blood trails and pools all over the living room and kitchen.  even some prints on the table. poor izzy.  i wish her paw would heal.  it was too overwhelming to clean all at once and i'm trying to keep my wound dry, but every time i got up i mopped an area that i could reach on my scooter.  after lunch jane came by and cleaned up the rest.

i finished up the news & views this evening and to celebrate i ordered a shawarma AND a strawberry mango shaved ice with cheese cake pieces.  divine.

Comments

Jeannie said…
Good for you. You are doing great. Still managing to live life with a flare. So excited about singing two hour church. Not sure how much I can participate but I'm going to do all that I can.