osteotomies, oh my !

 unprecedented measures have been taken.  an unprecedented measure for unprecedented times.  and by that i mean allergy season.  and by all of this i mean to say i closed all the windows.  don't brush it off.  i have a windows wide open policy from basically april to october.  coincidentally that is also my sandal season, but i digress.  the persistent and sharp allergy twinge deep in my nose woke me up at 5am this morning.  i suffered allergies all day.  i looked up the pollen index and cedars and junipers are high right now.  is that what i'm allergic to? cedars?  what a betrayal.  there's a wall of cedars right outside my window. and so after suffering all day, i was like why don't i shut these windows?  something reared up in dismay inside of me but i shoved her back down and sneezed explosively.

the big news is that i might be having foot surgery on may 21. i say might because i like to think it isn't real.  but dr. cardoso did say that date to me.  and dr. veljkovic, who introduced herself as andi, rubbed my arm and exclaimed at how cute my little feet are, also exclaimed at how extremely tight my tight tight calves are and marked a little x on the inside of my leg above my ankle to show where they will make an incision to lengthen my taught muscle which will allow me to move my bum foot better.  then she made pen dots on my heel and arch to show the other places that they will do things.  i just kind of stared at them in dumb shock.

but now that i've talked to a lot of people about it, it seems to be sinking in a little.  thinking too much about the recovery time freaks me out a little.  i'm sure it will all work out.  but. wow.  it's a lot.  i didn't expect surgery.  the reason it might happen so soon is because there was a surgery cancelation. dr cardoso said otherwise i could be waiting a year or 2 years.  we'll see what happens.  don't surgeries get moved all the time?  isn't the time of covid make surgeries uncertain?  they didn't say anything like that though.

after the appointment i got an ice cream bun from the bakery that i parked in front of.  it was filled with raspberry cheesecake ice cream.  

on tuesday i did an activity with the young women.  i was supposed to do consequences with them, but i couldn't figure out how to do it over zoom so i did one of mom's fill in the adjectives stories for them and then we played telephone pictionary.  it's their favourite game and i found a way to do it online.  it was so fun and so many laughs.  i loved every minute of it.  then i wanted to play it with everybody all the time.

monday we published the news & views.  on thursday karim and i went on our newly created 'paper route'.  we dropped off copies at the hospital, bridgehouse, which is like an in-between-hospital-and-home place, 5 boarding homes and alexandra court, which is the apartment building that we own.  it's all members there.  all in all we handed out about 100 papes.  we were so proud of ourselves.

karim's life mission is the news & views.  he's always thinking of ways to get it out there more. always enthusiastically asking people to read it.

what's going to happen to it when i'm gone?


Comments

Jeannie said…
Did shutting the windows help? Could you do some of the paper before your surgery? And make some unusual and creative delegations? One of my strengths is my delegating ability.