a bread day

 i woke up at  ten am.  i guess i'm still catching up on some lost sleep.  i lounged in  bed.  then heather called me and i lounged longer.  at one point we were about to hang up but then i brought up the canadian politicians who went abroad for christams vacations and the conversation surged forward.  i mean.  what doobs.  i guffawed when i heard it.  as my friend anas would say, "come on, are you serious pal?" finally i asked heather if it was 11:30.  "uh no, it's 12:30" she said.  wuuuut.  i got up, got dressed into yesterday's outfit.  i only wore it for an hour or two, so it's not like wearing it at all.  did some make ups.  today i went with a yellow, orange, pinky palette with a thin teal line at the lid.  and then i was out the door.  left the jacket behind.  today it was me out in the world.  no cowering under jacket hoods.  

the downpour paused while i was talking to heather but as i stepped out on the porch i heard it once again tip tip tapping on the corrugated plastic above me.  oh well, i shrugged.  the day felt mild enough.  

i drove to the shopping area on marine that's not too far from new west.  before hitting the chunky chubby ladies store i had to eat.  my eyes landed on cobbs.  yes.  yes i do want bread i said to myself and parked the car.  i had to wait in a line outside the store as only 2 customers are allowed at a time.  an older lady lined up behind me.  "aren't you cold?" she asked me as she tried to sink deeper into her coat and scarf and shuddered. "no," i laughed, "i'm one of those warm blooded types."  "oh...okaay..." she said once again shuddering. "it also helps to be fat" i said in my head. although fiona told me when i get older i will be cold like her. personally i think it's a combination of being warmer and also not minding coolness. a certain embracing of the wild climates.  there seems to be 2 types. the embracer of warmth and the embracer of cool.  each seems to have low tolerance for the other.  i don't know if this is a legit theory if you take me to court i'll deny it.

while i waited i looked in the window and tried to decide what to get.  i want one of everything please, requested my stomach and eyes.  that's almost what happened.  me in a bakery is like a kid in a toy store.  especially if i am hungry.  i got some sourdough bread. a pull apart cheese and garlic loaf, 2 ham and cheese croissants, and ham twisty bread and a chorizo and bacon pizza type thing.  oh and 2 blueberry lemon scones.  suffice it to say i had bread for breakfast lunch and dinner.  tomorrow i will also be eating bread.  nothing could make me happier.  i love bread.  people who say "i don't like bread"--we have no common ground.


so meanwhile i was texting with fatima about my day. she asked for my address. i thought she was just going to send me one of her family chritmas cards.  but then i told her how i want to buy ottolenghi's new cookbook.  she knows of my otto worship.  it turns out that that was the very thing she was giving me for christmas and that's why she wanted my address! so that's awesome.  richmond center indigo being liars who don't have the books that they should have, turned out to be for the best! i read a quote recently that said something along the lines of how we don't know that the bad things that happen to us are actually good things in disguise, but the quote said it in a profound way.  

i went shopping.  i found some t-shirts at good clearance price.  i still have 25 dollars left on my gift certificate.  then i decided to drive to guilford town centre to buy some jeans from torrid.  when i was driving up to guilford i was driving my google maps mad because she kept telling me to turn and uturn but no.  i have a specifice parking lot i like to use.  this is the case with any mall i frequent.  so i ignored her and drove to my parking area and then was completely gobsmacked to find only MY  parking lot blocked off!  how they dare?? where was i supposed to park?? i circled the whole mall before settling on the parking nearest to my lot.

there was a line up but the wait wasn't too long.  a lot of the in store stock was still 'holiday attire' and i was not into that.  and the colours right now are too black, grey, maroon, drabbies.  but i found some jeans to try on and a few tops from the clearance section, which was more colourful.  but the prices in the clearance section really bugs me.  oh this is on sale for 50 dollars.  it's a tshirt.  such a good sale price!  

i forgot to say that while i was in the pennington's change room there was a mother and daughter on either side of me buying stuff for the daughter's wedding.  there was a lot of talk back and forth between the mother and daughter and sales girl.  well.  in the torrid change room the same thing happened.  mother daughter on either side of me.  i am having deja vu i said to myself as i sucked in my gut and squeezed the button closed on my jeans.  i asked out loud "were you just at penningtons?"  but no one answered me.  "i'm having deja vu" i muttered to myself.  weird hey. what are the chances the same couple would travel from south burnaby to surrey and be at the same stores as me? the chances are super high.  there are not many fattie stores out there ok.

so i bought some ripped jeans and some red leggings.  i grabbed the leggings on a whim.  the jeans are a celebration. 

and that was my day of shopping.  i spent most of the evening at home researching brunch places that are open on new years day for me and heather to feast at.  now i shall close my weary eyes.

Comments

Jeannie said…
Your dad loves breads too. And cereal.
Jeannie said…
And cool about the book.
Karey said…
I love that you asked if they were just at Penningtons. How rude that they didn't answer. Also Cobbs is way better on the coast. I dislike it here.
katie said…
I want to see pictures of the new clothes!!! Why did you not post them?
Laura said…
all in good time katie-kins! karey, maybe she didn't hear me? or maybe she was on a secret mission and i blew her cover? who knows. and weiwd about cobbs. mom, that's where dad and i differ. i do not love cereal. el boring-oh