oh deer

mid day update.

deer.  i forgot to mention how last night on the way to the beach there was a young deer on the road.  we couldn't get around it.  every time we thought it was going off to the side the growl of the engine accelerating to pass it would spook it and it would bound onto the road again.  this continued for a while.  the deer being quite silly and foolish.  amy tried honking and that only made him bounce around more erratically.  finally we stopped a few seconds and he turned down a side lane to safety.  what a silly.

this morning amy was out on the porch in her ROBE doing her portugese lesson and whatnot and i was lounging on the couch.  amy called me out to the porch in excited but hushed tones.  there munching on grass going up the hill in the emerald glen was a doe and a tiny fawn!  the fawn was so cute. i took a lot of pics.  

since then there have been many deer sightings.  Two times i had this feeling someone was staring at me...once it was a doe lounging on a plateau not far from amy's porch.  another time it was the big eyes of a doe in the shadows as i walked by on the road. pender is an island of deer.

after amy left for some morning landscaping work, i had a scripture study, wrote in my blog and when i was done that, i conquered the loft.  i put my stepping stool first, then amy's chair, then climbed onto the counter, then up on the platform, then the step and clawed my way up and over into the loft! way less scary!  i felt the thrill of victory and then a pang that i would also have to get down.  i managed it but it was not graceful and there was much desperate clutching of handholds and anxious toes searching for landing spots.  but in the end i did it and it wasn't bad.

i went on a  walk.  amy told me about a trail to a bit of a summit and i went looking for that.  i didn't find it but i did meet her neighbour dan, who told me of another trail and when i said his property was beautiful, invited me to come take a look.  so i did.  and he gave me a whole tour of his extensive yard and little house with a loft (as well).  you know when people are so eager to show you and point out everything?  that was dan.  he had fire pits where he roasts oysters, and a bar and darts, and a porch, a bamboo stand... it was all very lovely.  he said he never met amy but he always sees her cat on the road.

i left dan ad headed up a hill and almost died.  i stopped for breath under a giant foxglove, taller than me.  then i walked on for a bit and took another break sitting on somebody's boat trailer and then i walked home.  the lounging dear was still there, looking mildly curious at my appearance.

my ar ms were drenched in sweat.   there was even a trickly down my back. 

















Comments

Jeannie said…
Everything sounds so beautiful . Amy drive a rusty old truck?!
Laura said…
Yeah. It's hers and Dan's. Usually she drives a scooter but it's broken
amyleigh said…
So what I was in my ROBE? you'd do the same.
Laura said…
I never own ROBES. But if I did, you are right. I would.