eat sleep move

another podcast i've been listening to is "happier with gretchen rubin".  gretchen and her sister elizabeth go over simple habits that improve your happiness.  i really like it.  last night i listened to an episode where they interviewed an author, tom rath who wrote a book called "eat move sleep" they were actually talking to him about his new book but the title of this book really struck me.  the title is obviously a take on elizabeth gilbert's book "eat pray love", but anyways it's so simple. 

 i feel like i and maybe many in the world have forgotten how to take care of ourselves.  why does self care and self love seem so radical?  i've long believed that sleep affects everything.  a good sleep is the foundation of a good day and a healthy body and mind. it's where i start any time i need a reset.  get enough sleep--start with that, i tell myself. 

 especially during this time in isolation i've been thinking more about food and how i feed or starve myself.  how i push aside my hunger pangs when i'm engrossed in something i don't want to lose focus in.  and how indulgent it feels to feed myself good vibrant flavourful foods.  the things that i create that bring me the most joy are often luxious bright salads.  salads that are the opposite of hohum to me.  amy and i talked about this when i was visiting her on pender.  she's been rediscovering what she likes when it comes to food and she shared how good it feels to feed herself good food. 

move--i have big deficits in the move department.  my knees told me that.  this morning i went on a little walk.  just a gentle tour of my neighbourhood.  i would like to start building up my movement endurance again.  i enjoyed myself, walking under the tossing seas of large trees singing in the wind and noting the different flower scapes of my neighbours.  

now i've had a bowl of frozen berries, lime juice, seeds and nuts and some diced ginger and i have to brush my teeth, put on a bra and go to work!

Comments

amyleigh said…
eat move sleep...I mean one could say it all comes down to that!! I'm interested in that book!
why DOES self care and self love feel so radical?? Why is it such a difficult journey? Why do we abandon ourselves when things get tough and revert back to unhealthy habits?
walking is the BEST! And that breakfast sounds so delicious!
love you!
Jeannie said…
And my daughters are so wise. And I'm so glad I have seven of them. Seven Sisters. It's in the Stars. This elderly lady with arthritic knees can tell you that you are doing the right thing by going for a short gentle walk. Even if it hurts a little. Just gradually increase it just a little at a time. Be loving and patient. Even at 77 this works and the knees get less painful. I also have some exercises given to me by the rheumatologist on strengthening knees. They are isometric. They are annoying but they are very very useful and they really really help. The hard part for me is to not overdue because when I think something is good I go all out and then it becomes something bad. Also Ginger is good for arthritis. Keep eating it. And cherries. Be greedy while they are in season. Personally I like the big rocks that you put in the jar everyday. The important things. You put the big ones in first and then you let the jar fill up with sand all around them. But if you put the sand in first you will never get all the big rocks in. To be gentle with yourself you have to also be flexible. Even if your schedule gets messed up you can still put a big rock in at a different time if you're focussed and don't put in the sand too much. Oh the wisdom of Mudsy. I guess this is where my wise daughters get it from.