'smores day

it was a great day.  before work i edited photos and listened to the national.  it was very productive and it felt good.  i started work at 1:30 because it was my turn to do the social.  my activity was bonfire at centenial beach, so before going in i drove around looking for fire wood and roasting sticks.  i found the sticks at a dollar store and gave up on the fire wood after calling the gas station near the beach.  they said they had fire wood, so we just had to pick it up on the way there.

last year i tried to do a bonfire activity and the fire ban started the day of the scheduled activity, so this year i put the activity in june, hoping it would be early enough in the year before the fire bans.  BUT it was threatening to rain today.  BUT it didn't.  so i felt victorious.  it was actually really nice at the beach.  i didn't think i'd have any trouble starting the fire but i was in fact having a hard time getting it to catch and a bunch of people standing around watching me and saying dumb things was not helping.  i caught myself snapping at daryl who was passing me the newspaper at a snail's pace and i was like woah, laura dial it back sister.  so i did.  and then a friendly neighbourhood fire guy offered us some of his fire starter stuff and i was all thanks man and i got the fire started and we roasted our hot dogs and had watermelon and chips and a nice time.  we had kind of a funny crew with us.  i went over to check the fire when it was time for s'mores and found it had mostly dwindled.  and then i inadvertently smothered it... and the lump of fire started was all used up... "i'm a fire failure!" i wailed to lisa.  but then i was like, this fire is not going to beat me.  and i rekindled it no problemo and built it up BIG.  i'm a fire success story kay? and here's my awesome s'more. bam.


however i did get soot all over my arms and shirt and some smudges on my face too.  whatever that's the cost of living sometimes. i made everyone come with me for a short walk on the beach.  it was a lovely evening.  warm but not too hot, mild wind and the sun was long and low as we drove home.  i felt that summer carefree all is well feeling.  i love the long summer nights of the true north strong and free.

and my hair smells like camp fire.



Comments

Jeannie said…
I'm envious