return of the urge

so when president nelson challenged the youth to do a social media fast i did it too because a) i'm a very youthful 44 year old and b)i'm a late bloomer ie. i'm stuck in time and c) i'm the young women's prez in my ward and i like to do what my girls are asked to do....except personal progress i've never been good at that--please refer back to b.  anyway, president nelson said to take note of what we felt prompted to do when we weren't spending all that time on social media.  and for me it was write.  i really miss writing.  and so i wrote in my journal some... and then time went on and then president nelson asked all the women to do a 10 day fast and i did it again...notifications are so annoying when one is trying to avoid social media.  there's just something about them that are so difficult to ignore.  but anyways he also asked us to read the book of mormon before the end of the year.  i started right away because a) i want president nelson to like me and b) i'm totes rad.  everything was going fine.  i was doing it.  then i hit some road blocks such as missing a day and adding  days onto days and feeling like i could never complete a day and such as dropping my book of mormon down the side of my bed.  i know what you are thinking.  that's not a big deal, just pick it up!  well my bed formally doug and delanie's bed, is so high that one cannot just reach down and get things that fall between the bed and the wall.  one's arms do not reach to the bottom.  things that go down there go down for good--unless it's my phone, let's be real.  so then i stopped reading the book of mormon.  but then i kept feeling that i really should be and then i started feeling like i really needed to be.  and then i was like, just get the book out from the bed laura! so when the time was right and not only that but when the time was RIPE i listened to myself and i pulled my bed out from the wall and snatched up my book of mormon.  i did the calculations with dread in my heart.  like to finish by the end of the year would i have to read 24 pages a day now?  but.  instead of 6.666666 pages a day i have to read 8.666666 pages per day.  not that big of a deal. so i have been reading and so far it just feels great.  i kept getting big and little nudges about it.  talks and quotes and things all leading to book of mormon reading.  anyways once i re-started i have felt good inside.  and that's that.  good and peaceful.  that's good enough for me.  and i have had a resurgence of the drive to write. i started reading old entries rather than surf instagram or youtube for long hours, and i was like, woweeee these are good.  good to remember things i totally forgot.  good and funny.  good and weird.  just good. and i want more good in my life.

sometimes andrea comes to visit and she fixes my faucet, buys a light for my fridge, scrapes the pool of dried glue off my floor, brings my excess mugs to a thrift store, takes my recycling in, does my dishes, washes my floor, buys me a bath matt (woops.  a bath matt would be a guy named matt in a bath??)--er bath mat and 2 towels, gets rid of my rotton fridge food, medicates my sick cat, cleans up the dried up toppled over plant that i left on the floor once the cats knocked it over and then she asks if she's been a bad guest??  this time she came bearing a lamp shade for the glass fish lamp i bought on the oregon coast in this cute little store that had some old things and some new things, but that was like august 2017 aaaaaaaaaaand she bought this cool paper hanging lantern that looked kind of like a jelly fish.  you scrunch the layers yourself, which felt daunting.  like the fate of this lamp lies in our in experienced hands.  but in the end it looked quite good and we hung it over the couch and i love it.

i told andrea that she doesn't know how to be quiet and she was quite affronted by this.  father's daughter is all i'm going to say. 

i was having a hard time hiring for my part time position.  like really hard.  i hired a lady at the beginning of august who walked out on the job after less than two weeks and i just finally hired someone last week.  it was hard to even get people to come to an interview.  i've never had such trouble before.  in desperation i started asking people i knew if they knew anyone.  one person i asked was none other than good ol' jord.  weeks later he said he might have someone for me and sure enough he did.  his name is caleb and i hired him.  caleb is a newly wed and went on his mission to the philippines.  he's only 23.  today barry referred to him as cherub rather than caleb which really hit my funny bone.

i'm gettting used to what it feels like to have a full staff.  today was the first day all 4 of us were at work together.  frankly it felt good and i want to feel more of it.

we are getting ready for the work christmas party.  for us that means coming up with a menu.  i wanted to attempt roasted vegetable terrines but after doing a trial one, which was fiddly but not that tasty we are doing roasted nugget spuds and salad instead.

the mormon channel is playing all christmas music now.  it is unavoidable.  christmas is coming.

currently i have a bum foot.  having a bum limb is a christmas traditon that i'm an unwilling participant in. tomorrow i go back to the podiatrist.  next week i have a physio appointment.  let's see who wins the bum footfixing contest.

well i know this is a lack lustre attempt but things might get better.  they just might.

ps my camera is broken. :( this included a tragic loss of schofield family photos. not once but twice.  i was reading my blog from 2006 and 2007 and that's when i started a pic a day with a point and shoot digital camera that fatima gave me for christmas.  um wow, my pics were bad.  some of them are hilarious to see.  i guess there is hope when you do something over and over and over and over.  you might improve even if you were not good to start.

 

Comments

katie said…
I’m glad Andrea did all those things for you. I want to see a picture of the lamp!
You made me laugh out loud by refusing to retrieve your BoM but not your phone.
I’m glad you are reading again. I’m really enjoying it: it feels different this time—special in some way. And I feel so blessed. I see the promises that pres Nelson made coming to fruition in my life.
Sorry about your bum foot. I hope you start getting solutions.