haps of march 2

first let me say, isn't general conference so good?  also isn't it great when the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions of your body subside and the aftershocks die down and the land of your body knits together and becomes solid once more? you know what else is good? prayer.  and doing the dishes.  and singing hymns that remind me of things i have faith in. and doing the laundry.  and showers are soooo so good.

so yesterday i was dwelling in some darkness, and today i feel like i made it out of that valley at least for now. back to the haps of march:

2. car--so after driving my car for a couple of days mom and dad had this swell idea.  they sold me their car for el cheapo and bought a van.  dad's been wanting a van real big and bad.  and jemimah was just about a dead duck.  so now i have a navy blue ford taurus station wagon, and i am taking suggestions for names.  it all happened very fast.  one day mom and dad picked me up at my house after work, and we went to the kia on minoru and spent 3 hours or so with a very chatty finance lady who incidentally added me on facebook just in case mom and dad get into any fincance problems in the future, and a very nice gentlemanly salesman named snow.  he practiced how to say doug.  which dad told me about and embarrassed him.  then we drove our new vehicles to mcdonald's for some dinner.

speaking of mcdonald's did you know dairy queen got a new salted caramel truffle blizzard?  i need to know if it's a true salted caramel, or a let's-cash-in-on-salted-caramel-but-just-caramel.

anyways, i find it kind of amusing that i have a station wagon.  but i also enjoy all the room in the back to put stuff.  and i also enjoy the way it doesn't screech really loudly when i drive it.  plus other things.

3. hair--while sarah was here on spring break funsies, she met me one day at mom and dad's to colour my hair.  i was long overdue for some blondsies.  mom came up with this really super plan that sarah could sit on the rolly chair and i could sit on the floor.  at first i had some doubts as to the superness of said plan, but it worked fine.  dad and adriel and sloan were watching pirates of the caribbean.  well...adriel was watching it with his eyes closed...so, no not sleeping.  watching with eyes closed.  kind of like being reddened by the sun but not burnt.  that will probably be funny to me until i die.  thanks good ol' jord.  anyways sloan was drawing captain jack sparrow.  he satelited around us asking for different details and suggestions for his pirate.  at one point i mentioned boots and he really too the boots challenge to heart.  he wanted to add boots but there was no room left on the page.  so our solution was a new page for the boots.  and he cut the two halves out and taped them together.  it's on gramma's fridge. i saw it there.  another time he pulled a toy batman with a long flowing cape on a motorcycle out of the toy box.  "that's my boy friend." i said "no it isn't." "yes it is." "no it isn't."  "yes it is"  .. this went on for a while.  then to prove it further i made batman talk to me in a low gravely voice.  "hey baby." he said huskily.  this made sloan laugh.  he kept making me do it. eventually we ate some yummy chicken made by mom and dare i say, made by caesar salad dressing.  then i washed my hair.  sarah was supposed to straighten it.  i don't know why i wanted to try it.  6 years ago, i was pretty clear with myself that i hated straight hair on me, but i decided to give it another go.  well first the boys got in big trouble for smooshing pizza all over the car (in the sunglasses holder) and writing all over each other with sarah's favourite special mac lipstick.  they had to go to bed without ice cream.  by this time my hair was almost dry.  i had to wet it again.  sarah blow dried it straight, the whole time we knew it was no use.  it was ten at night and raining outside.  no one was even going to see it in it's proper light.  and not only that.  i did not like it straight. i just don't like it sam i am.  so i asked her to add some curls, which made me feel a little better and like wynonna judd at the same time.  i went home, slept on it and woke up with wonky hair.  i endured a day of people's comments at work.

i had to pin it back for survival.  i look angry because my hair's straight.  don't cross me when my hair's straight dude. 

4. restaurant--i had to have shower to restore my curls before the family restaurant date at the golf clubh that night.  after the shower is when i realized that my blow dryer was languishing in tofinotonquinapartments.  what to do?  you can't go out to eat with dripping hair??  i decided to try the virtue of the car heating system.  i pinned my hair up, i went to the car turned it on vents, high heat and full blast all pointed at my head.  by the time i got to richmond center to pick up kaetlyn from the sky train, i had learned not to put my eyes into the line of the fan, or have them scorched.  the car was super hot and humid, but my hair was ready.  when i told kaetlyn what i had done, she said "is that why it was so hot in here?  i wondered! i thought it's not so cold outside!".  ha ha.  the golf course buffet was a gong show that everyone knows about.  a typical clarke event.  kind of fun for me actually, now that i think back on it.  doug telling us not to pay, the waitress warning of the security guards, mom threatening to come back until all her coupons are used, tracy busting in outraged after all the commotion had ended like she had just clued in, and starting it all up again.  it's so our family.  and it amuses me.  kind of like watching the chaos on the streets of giza amuses me.

5. book--i read a book for the young woman's book club.  the beehives are all a bunch of avid readers so i suggested they start a book club and they did and they chose the school of good and evil.  mei lin leant it to me and i read it in mostly a day.  a part of a day.  a night and a day.  i feel like getting back into more reading.  i just read persepolis.  mei lin lent that one to me too. it's a graphic novel about a girl who grew up in iran.

Comments

Beth-a-knee said…
i don't know about the gong show buffet! It sounds typical. But I still want details! Your angry straight hair pic was pretty. Just saying.