pong! pong!

i'm sitting outside on my porch and the light is low and slanty. there is a light stirring of air in the trees.  barely perceptible, but i feel it gratefully on my arms.  inside my house is stifling.  there is no air stirring of any sort. i need a fan.  i'm glad summer is finally here, but at the same time, i need a fan.  you know what i'm saying.

earlier this week i stayed up all night one night watching a mini series on netflix.  i got sucked in, but it was really kind of a depressing show and very soap oprah-ish.  i remember seeing the sun rise reflected on the trees outside my window and thinking how beautiful it was.  at the same time i felt how futile and meaningless my life was. i went to sleep around 5:30 and got up at 7:30.  i was overcome with such a depressed feeling.  it was so strong.  i felt hopeless and like crying all morning but i felt a little better by the afternoon.  part of me knew it was mostly to do with lack of sleep.  but i've gone without sleep before without such a dramatic depression.  i went home from work and went to sleep almost right away.  i woke up at 10 for a couple of hours and then back to sleep.  as i was going to sleep the second time, i saw a big beautiful shining moon rise in my window.  i flashed back to the memory of the rising sun on the trees.  "these are God's gifts to you." i thought, "to tell you he loves you." and i felt a lump of thankfulness in my throat and went to sleep soon after.  i've felt better ever since.

i finally did my taxes.  i found the one thing i was looking for.  i found it while looking through my papers to find something i could use to give my account number when calling to ask for a copy to be sent to me.  there it was, like it had always been there.  even though i did look.  more than once.  so they are done and i eagerly await my return.

friday night i had a majong party at my house with the primary ladies.  i made mango pudding and had coconut milk to pour on it.  i also went all out and made a watermelon ginger drink and mint water.  mei lin brought a beef stew with beef tendon in it.  the meat was melt in your mouth.  she also brought chow mien and her 8 year old daughter sabrina and the majong set.  yumi brought gyoza, sushi and cherries.  lei lani brought my favourite coconut buns from the chinese bakery and egg tarts and popcorn.  we had a huge feast.   my house was all spic and span and i even put the leaf in the table.  i had to use my reclining camping chair though.  sabrina called it 'the comfy chair'.

majong was fun to learn.  it has some similarities to rumi-o.  we had to learn all these chinese things to say as we discarded tiles and if you won etc.  i never won but everyone else did.   it was fun.  we had lots of laughs.  sabrina went around looking at all our tiles and advising us on what to play.  she's such a cutie and very bright.  at the end of the night she traded spots with her mom and played while her mom advised.  she sat in 'the comfy chair' and so was way lower than anything and couldn't reach the tiles.  i got a bright idea and fetched my back scratcher for her.  it's long hand like claw was perfect and she was delighted with it and became quite silly.

i caught a cold from my friend at work.  nerissa.  she was in denial. she said it was a bacteria from cleaning mouse poo in her garage.  but she had all the cold symptoms.  it made no sense.  then  the next day i had it.  she says i caught her bacteria.

when everyone left,  i was left with two coconut buns, a bowl of chow mien, half a plate of gyoza, a bowl of beef stew, a bag of cherries and 3 mango puddings (my recipe made 8).  not to mention the rest of my watermelon ginger drink.  sweet.

on saturday i met fatima down town for some girl time.  we got pedicures.  we wandered around yaletown for quite a while before we found a place.  when we finally found the place we were looking for, it was across the street but right in front of us was another place.  so we went to the place right in front of us instead.

i had a young girl and i appologetically told her that i had really bad calluses on my feet.  what a euphamisim. deep fissures in dried sharp edged skin is what i should have said.  she and the lady doing fatima's feet discussed it in their language and decided to trade because the girl wasn't good with the razor.  my lady did an awesome job.  it's hard work man.  i gave her a nice tip.

after that we walked back to the main down town area and stopped in some shops on the way.  once up there, we texted daman who had been at the beach and decided to meet him down there.  so we took the bus.  fatima paid for me because i had no change.  daman and his new bff esmir were at a pub across from english bay.  they were already eating nachos.  randy would have approved.

but fats and i needed foods for ourselves so we left there and went to a sushi place around the corner.  so yummy.  i got 'crazy girl' roll and 'snow white' so delish, each one.  then we bused back and caught our respective trains back home.

once home i had a 3 hour 'birthday chat' with andrea.  and fell asleep soon after.

today in sacrament yumi was released as primary president because she is moving away. i got called as the new president.  i was kind of nervous to stand up.  you feel like all eyes are on you, but it's not as bad when you sit so near the front like i do.

junko, katie's old friend and the ctr 4 teacher, gave a talk on how the holy ghost blesses her each day. she told the story of her conversion and what a story.  she had the whole congregation bawling.  i had tears pooling in my clavicle and struggled not to make an ugly cry face.  that's what i'm about. crying is fine, but please not the ugly cry face.  right after her talk the choir had to sing.  me and melissa who always sits in front of me, gave each other a look as we went up.  a look that said did we have to sing right after that sob fest?  but we did alright.

a new family from vanderhoof area moved into the ward and we got 3 new kids.  all super cute and all with y's in their names.  i'll say it again, i'm so glad i get to work with kids.  it's a gift to me just like the moon and the sun rise.

i'm tempted to sleep out here tonight.  it's so much nicer than my bedroom.  but the bugs...  i need a mosquito net...

Comments

I know you weren't looking for sympathy and that you abhor it, but I have to say that your life seems so full to me! And that mah jong party sounds so fun, what a great idea! And all that food sounds so delicious!

You ought to just bite the bullet and get a fan. They are only about 20 bucks. And so worth it. Also, a good cool-you-off trick is eating frozen cherries.
amyleigh said…
I second what Bethfurb says, and I also can't help but add...that your life has always been such a blessing to the people around you, and that's always the most important difference we can make. It's incalculable the effect you've had on me and Bethany alone, who really needed you (and you selflessly gave us SO much of your attention)...and i won't get carried away, but remember that next time such a mood takes you! No futile meaningless THERE.

sounds like a fun mah jong party with delicious food. Next time I visit you, I wanna go out for sushi with you!
Andrea said…
haha! That's the longest I've ever talked to someone on the phone. 3 hours and 10 minutes. My phone said 190 minutes. I can't believe the battery didn't go dead!... and do you really think you should call it a 'birthday chat'? You know what I'm talking about! ;)