Psalms 30:5 "...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."  i first discovered this scripture on my mission.  syster lawrance and i covered the walls of our little apartment with scriptures on joy and peace.  this one was one of my favourites.  i've been thinking about it lately.  how this pattern plays itself out in so many ways.  i know when i am going through something hard it seems to stretch out forever before me like an eternal night.  on my mission i had problems with my feet.  it was so hard.  it kept me from doing what i wanted to do which was serve with my whole heart and soul.  it seemed to drag on for so long and i became so tired and weary with the burden of it.  i remember feeling so desperate and threadbare of soul. humbled to the lowest.  and i learned how to pray differently and i learned how to exercise faith in the Lord's promises even though i couldn't see how they would come to pass.  and suddenly my burden was lifted in a way that to me was miraculous, in a way that i knew it was a gift to me from God.  and suddenly i was so light i thought i could float. and i felt like i was literally in the midst of a blazing light and flooded with joy.  i felt the joy bursting out of my skin cells.  i remember wanting to sing and laugh and praise God and love everybody i was so ecstatic i could barely contain myself.  it may have been the most dramatic instance of this in my life.  but there have been other times not so dramatic but still so real.  times i've despaired in my heart and turned to God and found deliverance.  deliverance can be so many different things.  it can be comfort and peace in scary or desolate moments.  it can be the exact help you need when you saw no way out.  it can be forgiveness.  it can be an idea.  it can be strength to carry on.  sometimes deliverance is swift and sometimes it takes a long time but it always does come.  and whatever hard thing that i am enduring it will only last for a night and joy will always come in the morning.  and the joy always dwarfs the night time experience.  i was reminded of all this today as i was reading 3nephi 11.  the people had just endured a literal night.  3 days of darkness after horrific storms  and destruction.  there was much weeping and mourning.  but the light returned and with it the voice of God piercing them to the heart introducing his son.  and his first words "i am the light and the life of the world".  when i read that i am filled with relief and gladness.  they made it through the night and into the light. and they were about to experience the greatest joys of their lives.  and i thought about childbirth.  the greatest pain and travail and then the greatest joy in the child that comes.  Jesus also said he drank the bitter cup.  maybe we all have our bitter cups to drink in this life, but i really do believe that joy will come in the morning.  i hope i can endure my bitter cups and learn my life's lessons and fulfill my life's mission and enter into the light and the joy.

Comments

amyleigh said…
such a beautiful post, I love that message so much.
Beth-a-knee said…
I love your insights and I love this post and I...well I...I love you, ok?