good deeds

last night i did some good work. i finally got to those last junky spots in the living room. one was a big bag of all my framed photos, paintings and so on. so i went about my apartment doing good. ie. i hung the art. nailing holes in the plywood walls proved difficult. the wall just bounced every time i hit the nail with the hammer. i knocked down the dumb blinds 3 or 4 times from all the wall bouncing before i wised up. i began to steady the wall with my arm holding the nail in place and eventually i'd break through. i'm quite pleased with the results. i'm no sophisticated decorator of elegance but it just feels nice to have my pretty colourful things around me. i'll take some pics and show you on the photog. i still have a few things to do because it was getting too late to hammer. while going about doing good, i was watching the carol burnette show. what a bunch of silly people. i love it.

my room has a ledge that goes from one side of the room to the other. all along that ledge i places photos and paintings and such. love it. i have so many things that remind me of the special people in my life. there's the sunset painting that elicia made me--i treasure that. there's my amazing bethany paintings scattered throughout and the paintings that amy and i collaborated on--those are special. my sheep picture from karey and the framed izzy and and archie photos...the framed 'living christ' that edith gave me as well as the african art she gave me. and the beautiful paintings by my sweet old neighbour gerta. i'm lucky. not only do i have special people in my life, but they're creative and giving too.

there's this lady at work who i always try to be kind and cheerful to. her face registers very little emotion. sometimes she just seems to sit and stare back at me. but then other times she'll say something like "what would we do without our laura?" when i come to help her in the snack bar, or today as she was going by she told me "you look like goldilocks with your long blond curls." and i realize that my caring about her is not unnoticed by her. i think so often we don't know the difference we make. we can't see it, but it doesn't mean we're not making a difference.

like another lady who used to help in the thrift store. she was even more straight faced than the other lady. sometimes would not respond back to me in anyway. every day when she was done helping i'd say "thanks for helping us today, _____". she wouldn't say anything. she would just leave. this went on for years and years. then just this year i noticed that before she would leave she would say "thanks for helping me today laura" when she was leaving. that kind of thing makes me feel good.

we have a new guy. he's latino and very intense. such a good guy and a good worker, but a guy with past. every time he's talking to me i feel like his eyes are burning holes into me. a lot of people who come to the clubhouse you'd have no idea the kinds of things that are in their pasts.

i need to dress up for our primary halloween activity. what should i be? i hate deciding what to be.

Comments

eryn. said…
it makes all the difference when you put pretty things up on the walls. its like it suddenly transforms into really being your space. i love it.

i also love when you notice that people appreciate the effort that you put in towards them. i did that with a few seemingly grumpy customers at nature's fare... it turned situations into much nicer experiences.

jasmine is being a crazy cat lady for halloween. its awesome. i am also terrible at deciding what to be for halloween always...
Beth-a-knee said…
I can't wait to see pictures. It always makes me feel so good to hang things up on the walls. Makes the diff between a house and a home.

I love what you said also about caring about people whether or not you get recognition...it's so true. I need to start doing that. I'm too easily discouraged and sensitive.

easy. You should be a pumpkin.
Sarah-Lynn said…
Hey, we just started putting pictures up in our house too! It does make a difference. I wish you had some Sarah things to decorate your house with. Too bad I'm not all that artsy. I want to be though. I keep telling myself that one of these days when I have time and some money, I'll get a sewing machine and make tones of cute stuff.

Why not be goldy-locks for Halloween? And bring the three Bears with you too? I don't know, I have't dressed up for Halloween since I was 17...
LeashyLoo said…
I agree with Eryn...it does make a difference! I think that you should be a zebra for Halloween!
amyleigh said…
you should be a furry bumble bee.

That's really encouraging to get those responses from those people at work. That kind of thing is so rewarding! I'm not surprised that you make people soften up to you. You're just that kinda gal.