the open windows of heaven

pollyanna, that little goody-good knew a thing or two about gratitude. i was thinking about gratitude when i stepped into the shower today. "thank you God for a shower head that swivels so well.", i said in my head. and then i stopped short. what if i stopped focusing on the things i don't like about this new home of mine and started thinking about what i'm thankful for. straight out of pollyanna--i know! i read this scripture this morning that said "...asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.", and i was all over the asking part. i made a list even and posted it on my fridge. ya sure i planned to thank God when i got what i asked for. what a dolt, i thought. you need to be thankful for what you have already! so then i started thinking of what i'm grateful for when it comes to my little abode. here's a list:

1. a shower head with a lovely swivel :)
2. it's affordable
3. there's an oven!
4. the fridge is BIG
5. i control my own heat
6. there's screens on the windows--hallelujah!
7. i get a bonus room!
8. i have a washer and dryer of my own in my room--that's pretty cool
9. they didn't ask for pet damage deposit
10. the cats are happy here
11. there's a big green backyard
12. my neighbours are super nice
13. my neighbours mow the lawn
14. my neighbours sometimes bring my garbage can and recycling box back for me.
15. i have my own mail box.
16. my landlord is approachable and reasonable
17. i have windows east and west (sunrise/sunset) aaaand south
18. it's my own space to do with as i want
19. quiet
20 peaceful
21. it's full of reminders of the care people have had of me:
  • the free tv andrea got me
  • karey's dvd player, iron, ironing board
  • mom and dad's couch, lazy boy, coffee table, bookshelves,
  • lisa's computer desk
  • doug and delanie's bed, dresser, bookshelf, freezer that i should really give back
  • paintings from bethany, and the rose carved in a conch shell and special peach
  • heather and elicia's blankets. :)
and so much more really. in fact while i'm being so grateful--i have so many people in my life that do so much for me. if it's not katie trying to get me a husband (:) ), it's andrea giving me apples from her 'orchard' or lisa feeding my cats or ben arranging my living room for me while bethany makes me a watermark for my photos--my every day is full of people doing good for me. i can't even name you all. you know who you are and what you did. :) i'm really really blessed. talk about 'not room enough to receive it'.

...and it all began with the shower head--that's funny.

Comments

Beth-a-knee said…
you're right--there's always so much to be thankful for if we try. It's kind of like a paradigm, you know? I'm glad you're thankful for my paintings :)
amyleigh said…
It's so good to be grateful. Thanks for reminding me of this. I hope my blanket of lovin, puuuure lovin' makes the list too! :)
Sarahstottle said…
yes I think I needed that reminder. Thanks. It's nice to have your own space, and hello- awesome bonus room :)