the zimmerman zoo

every time i visit here with karey, there is some kind of new animal or creature to admire. and now that nina works at the vet's this family has adopted a crow. joe the crow. he's a funny little guy. he has no tail feathers so he looks all stubby. he walks/hops around the backyard and seems to get along with the two weiner dogs and the cat with hiv. if uncle rick tosses him some dog food just right, joe the crow will catch it in his mouth. he knows when it's going to happen. he opens his mouth and makes cute little crow sounds when it's tossed.

we sleep in the room that adjoins the room that holds the exotic birds and snakes. somehow karey can sleep in there, but i have to sleep closest to the door and it always has to be shut.

my flight here was uneventful. i read my new billie lets book called made in the usa. i arrived at lax at 11:15, got my bags, and sat on this bench and read waiting for karey's flight to get in. one security guard slept on my right hand side and on my other side sat two other security guards discussing some bible passages. when they got up to leave the teacher of the pair gave me a booklet calling me 'sister' and saying "praise the Lord". i used it as my bookmark. after the time for karey to arrive came and went, i went in search. i was tunnel visioning it down a hall and that's when aunty sherry called to me, snapping me out of it. she was waiting with a lady who i was guessing that she didn't know before that day, but whom she was talking with like an old friend. that's just the way aunty sherry is. the woman had a canadian flag cap on and i guessed, correctly, that this was the bond between them. so we all chatted and waited and karey finally got there and we left.

i was famished. the last time i ate was at 7:30 at the airport. on the way to lake forest we stopped at huntington beach to eat. aaaand we ended up eating at crabby's--the same place we ate when we were here for the conference last time. i didn't think it was as good, but then again i was trying to eat healthy this time. there was a street fair that night so we wandered around looking at stuff before we went back. aunty sherry bought huge armfuls of fresh flowers.

yesterday karey and i had a shopping day at a nice outdoor shopping area called spectrum. our favourite stores to hit up were target, old navy and torrid. i got some cute clothes, i'm not going to lie to you.

when we got home i read the rest of my book while karey and curtis played wii. and we had a yummy bbq dinner, in which i spilled too much dressing on my salad and then proceeded to shove a pile of it on my stomach.

time for me to have a shower!

Comments

Beth-a-knee said…
sounds fun. what a cute sounding lil crow.

I read that book by Billie Letts, and found it traumatizing. It only gives you a break right at the very end. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it and ended up skipping several pages in the middle that were just TOO much. How did you handle it?
you there for a conference? You're so silent about these things!
Sarah-Lynn said…
Wow, now you are going to have a plethora of cute clothes. Then again, you always do and say you don't. Shopping in an outdoor mall in Cali sounds like something I could handle.
amyleigh said…
Sounds like a fun trip! Er, I actually have no clue who aunt sherry is. You're always staying with relatives I don't know.
eryn. said…
i wish i was going on a fun trip like that and buying cute clothes! the crow sounds pretty neat!! pictures to come?
Sarah-Lynn said…
ha ha, Aunt Sherry is Karey's relative which would be why you don't know her :)
Claudine said…
Sounds like you're having fun!!! So glad that you found some cute clothes! Someday I'll go to Cali..someday!