so. here's how things are going on the grad application front: i'm scared. this isn't new. i've been scared the whole time. it's one of the reasons i keep putting it off year after year. my fear has specificities (other lesser women might say specifics, but i hold myself to a higher standard of expression :) ). i'm scared that i can't do this application. it's the letter of intent! how do i tackle this beast? i've got to write it and i've got to write it now. and i'm terrified that i waited too long to buckle down and do it. i'm worried it's too late. that the referees that i ask won't have enough time to do it, that i'll take too long to do my letter of intent, thus application, thus wasting precious reference writing time for the referees. but how do i write the letter???????????????

should i move? this severe change of topic is brought to you today by the double letters BB. bedbugs are remarkably hard to get rid of. this is what i was thinking about in the shower. i could just move with nothing but my kitchen stuff, my already treated and bagged clothes. start anew. the freedom of a pestilence free home would be fantastically, wonderfully, delightful. the things i would regret losing the most are my hope chest that dad made, my book shelf that dad made * especailly the book case!* and gramma b's red desk, aka red betty. i could even get rid of almost all my books and not take a look back. i do love my books and i'm proud of my collection. i like it when people come over and take a look at my books and we talk about them. but i can live without that for a while and books have a way of coming back to you. the very special ones i could bag for 18 months.

what to do about the trinity of beloved keepsake furniture items? i don't know. i don't want to move anywhere with the teensiest possible chance of taking BBs with me. so.... i don't know. i also shouldn't move until edith is going to move out (april/may) because then i'll just have to move again. but can i keep up the camping type living, and seemingly fruitless BB battles and skirmishes until then? wait and see. wait and see. in the mean time i do my best and trust in deliverance.

re: the fear grad school application. i know one of the answers is faith. faith is my weapon against fear. the meaning of "shield of faith" much more clear when i think this way.

Comments

eryn. said…
i have heard that moving and taking nothing is the only way to totally get rid of the bugs. i don't know how true that is because i have never had them. i'm sad to hear they are still bugging you. as for the letter... i find once you make up your mind that you are going to complete it, sit down, it is much easier.
Beth-a-knee said…
yes, and I think you should just sit down and write your letter without thinking too much, and see what you create. you know? Take it from there.

i'm attached to your nice things too, its sad that you'll probably have to get rid of them. but then again, it opens avenues for more nice things!
Andrea said…
Okay, so this is what I did with my counselling brochure that I just completed. I was having similar fears/blocks about doing it. Anytime I sat at the computer anything I wrote just sounded dumb. So I set a timer and wrote longhand in my journal. I did it in 15 minute segments - sometimes 3 times a day. I just free form wrote about - and I wrote about my fears/blocks/personal criticism when they came up and processed it and let it go. Then I had took out all the bits that I could use and put them in a word document and edited it. It really worked well for me. I ended up with an awesome brochure (if I do say so myself).

About your trinity of things - is there anyway you can wrap them up and store them for 18 months? They make gargantuan plastic cling wrap to use with moving that you could use.
Andrea said…
Oh - for the writing thing - I just kept asking myself "What do I have to offer" and answering it in many different ways - some of them stupid.
Laura said…
thanks everybody. it's really nice to receive the kind of support you give. i really appreciate the encouragement and helpful tips.

funny andrea, i thought of shrink wrapping them and storing them too. just where? the book case and the hope chest would be easy to shrink wrap, red betty a little harder. and i wonder if the shrink wrap would stay bug proof for 18 months or if i would feel safe after 18 months to bring them into a bug free environment.
Sarah-Lynn said…
store them with mom and dad's stuff.

I totally think you have so many things that you can write about that will do more than qualify you. And you're so good at writing, you have it in the bag. Don't let the fear in.