long grained brown rice and a can of tuna

i leave new potatoes in my cupboard for months on end. i don't eat them. i only open my cupboard and stare at them. i store a big bag of carrots in my fridge for even longer and instead of eating them i buy another bag and put it on top. i pick my last tomatoes and watch them ripen on my window sill. i don't feel the urge to eat them. my cupboard is full of things i can eat--that i can make. it stays full because it's a cupboard museum of sorts. i only use the peanut butter and the popcorn. occasionally i can bring myself to use one of the items like a carton of soup or a can of tuna. my fridge is likewise full of forgotten things. who would know that i like to cook? that i think creating in the food department is fun? only people at work. i've spent the last five years struggling, barely cooking at home. i always think i will, but i usually don't. i don't know why. maybe all my energy for that is used up at work and at home i want to do other things. i know that i often want good food at home but not enough to make it.

well that's this stage in my life i guess. the non-cooking-at-home stage. some day when i'm old and retired i'll be in the let-me-cook-you-a-meal stage.

Comments

Karey said…
I've been craving your garlic mushroom pasta dish. I go through that stage every summer.
LeashyLoo said…
You can cook me a meal anytime! Remember how we used to share food and make meals together? WE were real good at helpin each other with this. Especially because cooking isn't the most exciting task for me. (And probably never will be).
Claudine said…
What's cooking????
amyleigh said…
I'm like that too. I'm hoping to change that now though. My next cooking goal is to buy baby potatoes and make a lish potato salad (with hearts of palm). It always gives me such self-satisfaction to use the groceries I buy and to eat a meal I've made myself from the groceries I've bought :P
Sarahstottle said…
oh the luxury of having the option to just not cook...
eryn. said…
i found that trying new recipes was a really good way to get me to cook. maybe with things i hadn't ever cooked before. you need the rebar cookbook. haha.