it's too hot. my skin is a drunken spunge that's being wrung. in watering my garden i decided to water myself. for two delicious seconds water poured down my shirt and over my head cooled me down. that's over now.

i got a donair today from the new guy. i'll admit it, i had a bad attitude going in. i mean who can replace the beefy smoldering eyes and often moody abrupt manners of the previous guy. the guy who honked at me on new year's day night (was it?) when i was walking the dark streets in weird clothes non of them warm. the one who said awkwardly and haltingly to pregnant sarah "howz..your baby?". the one who embarrassedly said hi to me at the winner's in richmond while i tried to hide that i was buying a bra. the one who always knew i wanted a lebenese style chicken donair and asked me how i was doing one day when i was very tired. and when i said "tired." asked me about my job and said "that's a very hard job." in a very sincere sympathetic way. well he's one of a kind obvioulsy. so today i the call of the donair was stronger than my resistance to change. so i trudged up to the donair spot while edith looked for the devil wears prada at the shell station (only six something!). well i was pleasently surprised. new guy seems nice. i was prepared to resent him for being new but i just couldn't. new guy is skinnier and younger and has long lashes. he looked hopefully, tentatively friendly. we talked about the heat. what else is there to talk about? those donair guys must really suffer. their shops are ovens of torture. anyways he too may one day learn what it is i like. i decided to name him cutie-long-lashes. longlash for short. i find imaginary connections and relationships with the regular sellers of fast food in my life, one of life's little joys.

edith and i had been at superstore. i was famished but held back my impulse buying to a six pack of cozy shack rice pudding, no sugar added one gram of fat. not bad right? my main reason of going there was to drop my underwater cameras. the guy at the photo counter and i chatted about non other than the heat. he said something about how the office he was in that day had a/c but that it was still 29 degrees in there. so then i bragged that i worked in a kitchen and even though the a/c was on it got so hot that we would take lovely holidays from the heat in the walk in cooler. edith and i wen halvsies on a bag of wild salmon fillets and a box of skinny cow mini fudgsicles. we each ate one when we got home. they were so melty, it was two gulps and they were gone. superstore looked like it had experienced some looting. many of the refrigerated bins were completely empty, there were NO bananas, NO green peppers and the ice cream treats section had too many vacancies.

today at work i was in the hot steamy dishpit for lunch and then after that i did baking. wednesdays are always wonderful. it already feels like i haven't missed any time a'tall. one thing's new--we got new black stackable chairs. our wooden ones are now for sale, seven dollars per chair.

we made blueberry muffins with fresh blueberries. while we were setting up, running for sugar, flour, baking soda, bowls measuring cups and so forth, carmen said to me out of the blue, "laura, you're a lovley person." sweet hu? i think she's lovely too, and i told her so. it was a moment of love in the kitchen over the beginnings of blueberry muffins.

i'm one big itch. i figured out that i was bitten by red ants on my last day at the rehyoon. i have all these bites that turned into blisters. and i found a red ant in the tent when i was taking it down. amy and i decided that the bites are due to bethany's ruthlessness towards said ants. thanks a lot bethany!

Comments

Sarah-Lynn said…
I didn't know that smouldering eyes left the donair shop! Why? Just because he finally found a woman? That means he has to turn his life upside down and leave his work?

Now I really really want a donair...
Laura said…
no! they opened up a shop on robson! i just happened to be driving by one day when i was down town and i saw the new shop and i saw him smouldering out the front window.
katie said…
there were a couple of ants in my tent too when i took it down.
Laura said…
but you didn't get bitten?
mudsy said…
I did use some repellents---but I only got two bites---even at home here they do not prefer me to others---Heather says it may be because I take vit. B complex---also, mosquitos like people who eat bananas, apparently.
amyleigh said…
my bites are mostly cooled down, myself. I'm STARVING and I want a donair! you're going to post pics asap, right??
Andrea said…
How can he have beefy eyes? smouldering beefy eyes... sounds like a bbq... I have bites like that, too that have all blistered - like i had the chicken pox. I think it was the no-see-ums. I never saw a red ant and there were none in our tent and I am covered, I tell you. Covered. In insatiable itch-ness
Laura said…
well if andrea and i both have the blister bites, i bet it was from some of those bugs at the lake late the last night.
Beth-a-knee said…
yeah insects don't like vit b. and they are attracted to people with diets high in sugar. i think they're no-see-em bites, because ben is covered, and they've all blistered and stuff too.
Laura said…
does ben eat a lot of sugar?