red betty biter

i met barb at the beach today. i was glad she called. i needed to get out of the house and away from the computer. when i started getting ready to go i realized that i was weak and shaky from hunger so i stopped at the donair place on the way. it was my first time back there since ' the betrayal' (:) ). smouldy was there with two new guys. new employees or something. i imagined that they were relatives of his new fiancee's and that he and his brother had fought and gone their separate ways. of course his brother could have just had the day off, but i like my story better. anyways there is no smoke in his eyes anymore. he's all brusque and business now but i guess things can't smoulder forever. either they burst into flame or are extinguished. :)

i digress. it took me a while to find barb even while talking to her on the phone and even after she stood up and waved at me. it was a little reminiscent of the costco parking lot scene with karey. barb had a blanket, some carrots and some chips and salsa. she's studying to take her mutual funds licence. i brought my morning pages. we chit chatted a while but eventually i enforced a 20 minute silence rule because i thought at the rate we were going, we'd never get anything done. sometime during all of this the coast guard hover craft came right up to shore, all along the sand and everything. it was strange to see. we didn't know it could go over land. there must have been some big accident because we heard people saying that there were all sorts of emergency vehicles down there.

it was nice to be at the beach. there was a cool, but not too cool breeze and the sky was summer blue from horizon to horizon. behind us were two guys hitting a ball back and forth with rackets. at one point during the silence enactment, we heard one marvel at the way the brain could sense the arm trajectory yadda yadda yadda. barb and i looked at each other and shared a chuckle and a smirk. "i hope you're writing that down." she said.

later i fell asleep for a while and my hands from the pinkies to my pointer fingers fell asleep, but my thumbs didn't. i think we left around five. it was lovely to drive through the shaded roads around ubc and feel the delicious coolness on my hot arms.

my left arm is particularly hot because i've been bitten on the side of my elbo. (i once knew a guy who liked to spell it elbo) also on my bicep of the same arm, but the one on my elbo is very red and the red is spreading and it's very hot. i wonder what fool thing is biting me. it seems to happen every friday and every time i'm sitting at red betty and have no idea who the culpreet is. makes me kind of wary as i sit at red betty. maybe it's betty herself.

last night i did some more planting. i planted a tomato plant hanging upside down from the bottom of a hanging bucket. mom told me about how to do it. i hope it works.

today i've had a mild case of may boatwright-ism. if you haven't read or watched the secret life of bees then you don't know what i mean. may was the sister who felt eveyone's pain very keenly. today i had a mild case of what she had. it was strange. there was a car accident on my corner this morning i heard the terrible squeal and crash-boom-crash and was trying to see from my balcony, but couldn't really see much. as turned away i felt a lump in my throat. "what's wrong with you?" i asked myself out loud because you talk to yourself when you live alone. i didn't even know if anyone was hurt yet! and no one was badly hurt i found when i joined many of my neighbours down on the street. somebody missed the stop sign and hit somebody else who then hit a tree. it could have been me. i was very nearly hit for the same reason just an intersection down from there.

then on the way to the beach i had a break down in the car listening to the roy green show on cknw because of bob and his story. sheesh.

Comments

Andrea said…
On CBC I heard that there was a body found in the water 15 feet (or metres, I don't remember now) off of Wreck Beach. They must have been doing some of their investigating when you were there...

Yes, I think you are rather May Boatwright-ish now come to think of it. Good description.

I love you, little sister!
LeashyLoo said…
I felt sad reading about you being all emotional and stuff, especially when I remembered that you are by yourself for awhile. Good that you went out with Barbie and got out of the house. How are the morning pages going? Miss ya and love ya!
Anonymous said…
You are wicked individual.

xoxo
Fatima
katie said…
i confess i do that--get teary over things like that all the time and then wonder why too.
Karey said…
when i was reading about you looking for Barb i had a flash back in the Costco parking lot. man, that still makes me laugh. Oh, wait! i hear her LOL