2 dates with myself:

last friday i went on my first artist's date. i had this vague idea about the burrard street bridge. i've been wanting to walk over it and take some clicks and stuff and so that's what i did. i drove over and parked by the red school and walked over the bridge and back.










so then i got to the other side and i was kind of bored to tell you the truth. my artist was like "this isn't fun--and i'm cold too." but i took some half hearted clicks anyways before venturing back over the bridge and taking my artist to a movie.

this one of me didn't turn out that well so i felt perfectly fine with altering it greatly. i like my pink curls.

i dig a blurry tree pic at sunset.
and back over the bridge again...



another altered photooh of my artist's self.
the granville street bridge and granville island. i like the chalkish light reflections on false creek.


so then i went to a little theatre on broadway called hollywood cinema or something like that. it's a family run theater and they apparently get movies after the other theatres. it only costs 7 bucks and on mondays it costs 5 dollars. you have to pay with cash and there's a one man box office outside where you buy your ticket. inside is a tiny concession stand run by two friendly girls, one of which got me a popcorn and a lemon square. you see, they have baked goods. i chose a hefty lemon square with white chocolate icing.

the hollywood is the old style long theatre where you can get a lot closer to the front without having to watch the movie by turning your head from side to side to see what's going on, if you know what i mean. my artist and i very much enjoyed australia, a movie i'd been wanting to see for a very long time. by the end of the movie we were shivering uncontrollably but that's neither here nor there. on the outside i met a man with the tip of his nose eroded on one side.

wednesday was my artist's date day this week. wednesday i also had yoga to do. lisa was really pushing the yoga this week. i wanted to go too, because unlike many a wednesday i was feeling good and had some energy. i attribute this to enough sleep, and to a great scripture study/morning pages experience that morning. anywhoo... the point is i did yoga first. then my idea was to go seek out the owls at boundry bay. i thought maybe if i go there closer to sun down i'd be more likely to see them. however i was racing the sun on the way there. it was almost dark and it was coooooooooooooooooooold. the wind was whipping wildly and cruelly. i started down the raptor path anyways. all i ever saw were two eagles in the carnage tree and a few ducks. meanwhile my neck was frozen to the point of numbness. i could not feel it. it felt like my head was free floating above my shoulders. on top of this, hard little balls of snow started to fall.
you can see them on the board walk. "fun date." my artist said to me with an ironic tone. pretty soon the snow was flying at me from the side in billows. let me tell you i never booked it back to my car so fast in my life. once there, despite having to pee and being the only car left in the lot and the fact that it was snowing and cold and dark, i decided to at least take a picture of the tree before i gave up and went home. this is where the dumb red ear warmer and big grey and blue toque that have been kicking around in my trunk for months came in handy. i put them both on and buttoned my sweater all the way up to the top, took my tripod and ventured to the back of the parking lot near where the tree stands. here is the tree series. keep in mind that every picture has been altered and edited:




that light squiggly is my flashlight. if i wasn't standing in front of my camera, snow would build up on it. meanwhile it built up on the back of my person. i turned around to take this lonely shot and then took off towards home, driving through the snow storm. as soon as i got home i stripped off my outers, pulled out the fleece candy strip pjs, two hoodies, the slipper booties, and mike's toque. and when i went to bed i was still wearing most of that, some of which were flung off in the night, but still. my artist wants a warm date next week.

Comments

amyleigh said…
that's so funny - I took my artist on a movie date at an old tiny theatre too!
Karey said…
I'm so jealous of your camera! Great pics. I was told the weather was so nice in BC this week. I guess they were wrong.
Beth-a-knee said…
gee laura, so many posts! i'm not complaining, but a girl is away from the comp for a few days, and wham! it took me three days of intermittant reading at the shoults' to get it all! there were lots of comments i wanted to leave too. but this'll have to do: i liked lots of the pics, you and karey are pretty, and i liked that artist pic you took on burrard st bridge with half your face in shadow. and i know exactly what you mean on your post about change. i was jealous of the good food you seem to have around you in abundance. particularly the repeated mention of salads that include roasted walnut.