squinty

we carved pumpkins at heather's today. as i was walking back to my house through the alleys with my pumpkin, 'squinty' in my backpack, i saw a guy up ahead in a cowboy hat. he kept looking back at me and he'd go forward and then turn around and wander back. like he was waiting for me. i was just thinking about how'd i'd have to use my heavy pumpkin bag as a weapon of self-defence when he calls out to me "like my indian jones costume?" and lifts his hat. "this is all i got so far." he added. "really great." i managed to say. he kind of laughed and lifted his hat off of his head and turned down the other alley that branched off from the one i was on. "have a good night." he called. he seemed happy. i think that guy just needed somebody to tell about his costume so he waited for me to get close enough so he could share with me. it made me think about connection and validation and how everyone needs it. how we need each other, even just to mirror ourselves back at us.

Comments