"it's easier to love somebody--easier than to be loved. you say you wanna be somebody. why don't you be yourself."

i have a secret to tell, from my electrical well....nananana... and i'm leaving out the whistles and bells... ok. this is sad. so over the years i've received a lot of really great presents. amy, for example has given me many lovely gifts. one of my most favourite of all the gifts she's given me has been the key chain ribbon. it's a long ribbon that's red on one side and black on the other and it has pretty detailing on it and it hooks onto my key chain. it may not seem like a big deal, but i love it. i love it because i can always find my keys and i love it because it's pretty and unique and it's a reminder every day a couple times a day that my little sister amy gave it to me and that she loves me (and i love her). it always hangs out of my purse or my coat pocket and it's just perfect for me. the thing is, it broke. i was carrying a big box of produce from kin's market up the stairs in the apartment and when i was in the process of balancing the box on the door with my stomach (a stomach can come in hand at times), my keys frustratingly fell to the floor, but i was still holding on to the ribbon. baffling. on further investigation it appeared that sometime on my upstairs journey the claspy thingie that keeps the key circle connected to the key ribbon broke, thus rendering the key ribbon useless for keys. it's been very sad. the last couple of days i've been using bare keys with no key chain and i've had to search for them in my purse and everything.

we made pumpkin tarts at work. it all started yesterday when bruce and i scooped out the seeds of two pumpkins and put them face down on a pan with water on the bottom and in the oven to steam. while i was doing that, i was on the phone to mom to get andrea's phone number and then on the phone with andrea who said she used mom's recipe. !! to save me from calling mom back, she gave me a recipe that she had. then i set about making the crust. i was supposed to use shortning and i found some in the walk in cooler. i put it in the freezer to get as cold as possible. but the weird thing about this shortening was that it stayed really really soft. i thought the dough was too soft, but i shrugged wrapped it up in seran and put it in the fridge.

then this morning i came in to work half an hour early to work on the pies. i had left the pealed and steamed pumpking in a giant collander with a bowl under it over night so that all the excess water could drain. (andrea told me the difference between sugar pumpkins and 'jack-o-lantern pumpkins' and i doubted my two were sugar pumpkins. jack pumpkins have more water and need to be drained more) i started off by mixing up the pumpkin filling. then i moved on to the pastry dough. this is where my problems lay. the weird dough was really maliable, but not flexable. as soon as i picked up a circle to put in a muffin tin, it would break apart. meanwhile it was nine oh clock and time for the morning meeting. i threw the dough away and vowed to try again in the afternoon.

so after lunch i began again with the pastry. this time i used cold butter and it worked out really well, so i think the shortining was the culprete. not all shortinings, just the one that i found in the fridge. i mean who knows how long it had been sitting there? maybe since the last time i made butter tarts which was so far back i don't have any idea when it was. now gina was helping me and she was really excited about the whole process. they took a long time to cook. i pulled the last ones out of the oven at ten to four. and my feet are really sore.

those pumpkins also provided us with the soup of the day, which was velvety (fatima oughtta like this name) pumpkin bisque. a very easy soup. all that's in it is green onions sauted in some butter, pumpkin puree, some brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, chicken broth and some creamo. voila. my life has really had an orange food theme lately.

driving over the dinsmore bridge on the way home from work the water of the river was clear and glassy. i was facing the south airport and the tops of big rounded blue mountains above the whitest feathered cloud bank. when i see something like that that i want to remember i tell it to myself and i hope that i can keep it with me and remember all the details, like when i'm crossing the arthur lang and the sun is low in the west and the way it lights up the river and spotlights different colours and things you wouldn't really notice in regular light. like the yellow of the oak street bridge. i didn't even know it was yellow until i looked at it in that light.
remembering beautiful scenes

Comments