affairs of the heart

when i got home from work today, i went almost straight to bed. and i slept for hours and it felt great except for the times that my nose was cold and the cats woke me up to get out of the room even though i left the door partially open. they can pull tacks out of the bulletin board but they can't get out of my room without a wide open door. they have an exit handicap but we love them anyways.

i had trouble with my hair this morning. when i was laying in bed looking for the gumption to get up, i could see exactly how it would be (should be, could be). but the sad reality was no where close. it was one of those days that i do my hair a million times and take it out a million and one times. the truth was that my hair was too wet to put up. the truth, i have learned is that my hair does best in an updo if it is completely dry. and so after the million and oneth time, i in frustration took out my blow dryer again and put it on the highest power and the highest heat and gave my hair what it deserved--a blasting. (an arid extra dry.) when i lifted my head and saw the wild and floofy, frizzy-fried curls i felt a satisfaction, but not joy. i pulled it back into a single braid and changed out of my ole tshirt, (i could see that it was totally wrong). but my gym class hero was all wrong too. and it was more wrong with my black hoodie than without. and i was going to be late. last minute i found it. i found the answer. red and blue zip up. and i zipped it most of the way up and felt somewhat better although not beautiful.

all day i walked on a round cardboard tag that izzy kindly left for me in my shoe. at times i had the vague idea to stop and take off my shoe and see what was in it, but i let it pass. and at the end of the day i took off my shoe and there it was.

elicia and i went to roger's in our pjs to pick out a dvd. there was basically nothing good on the racks. elicia was glum and grumpy. this rogers employee kept following us and asking if we were ok and if we needed anything and volunteering that the movie in my hand was one that he heard was good and sorry he didn't hear anything about that one. and we just wanted to be left in peace in our pjs browsing the movies. but i wasn't as standoffish to him as i am to the essencse employees who pester. i smiled and was pleasant. elicia picked out elizabethtown. we bought some junk food from seven eleven. elicia parked in a no parking spot on the side of the road. she showed me her secret method of getting away with this audacious behavior. she turns on her hazards. she said i should try it sometime. "what makes you think i haven't?" i asked as we walked into the store. "i don't know... i just figured it out." she said behind me. meanwhile i was avoiding one of the donair spot guys. not THE guy, but the other one. i wasn't feeling, how do you say... presentable, and he might tell the other guy. the guy who suggsts chicken. and then i'll never become the queen of donairs. i got cherry garcia ben and jerry's, a hot dog for supper (pete would be proud) and a small bag of cheetohs. when we came back out to the car, elicia was delighted to see that someone else had parked behind her with their hazards on. "see! he copied me!" she chortled with glee.

rothko was happy to see us. happy to get some tuna more like it. we settled down to watch elizabethtown and discovered quite quickly what i had feared in the first place. it's not a good movie. was not emotionally involved with the characters. only watched to the end to in fact see the end. rothko was not that friendly. at times he yowled loudly from the door. and he did his staring thing. poor guy misses heather.

i walked home through the alleys in the late night drizzle. i walked through the puddles on purpose just to feel the icy water on my feet. this is real, i said to myself. this is my life.

Comments