summer asparagus soup with sweet basil and chicken breast seasoned with the keg steak seasoning

tuesday morning it was hard to wake up. so i did minimal prepriations in my appearance and slept as long as possible. archie was super hungry but we weren't allowed to feed him and he was weaving in and out of our feet crying mournfully. i took his carrier down from the closet and a bunch of badminton rackets started falling on top of me and i scrambled to keep them up on the shelf and to catch the umbrella and flashlight they were knocking over. i wondered why the badminton rackets were trying to bug me but i decided to be the bigger person and move on. archie walked right into his carrier and i quickly locked the door. "traitor", i accused myself. once archie was emprisoned i called to elicia that the constantly mewing izzy could be set free. she came straight to her brother and sniffed him through the bars. they said their last goodbyes and then i transported the prisoner to the car. he never starts complaining until i turn the car on. then he complains with great endurance. this particular morning he was hungry and locked up so he was doubly dilligent in his whines and head butts at the bars. he stretched his cute orange paw through the bars and pawed at anything. he looked at me through the slats with betrayed eyes. at the lights i would reach back and stick my fingers through the bars in an attempt to sooth him, but the effects were minimal.

i got to the vet in record time. so fast that it was still 20 minutes before anyone would be there to admit archie for his day surgery. so i sat in the car with my boy and he mewed and mewed and pawed the air and finally he lay down resigned--and that was just minutes before the clock struck 8 and the lady came and opened the store. another man and his wife were there with their puss waiting as well. they looked well to do. with little or no formalities i handed archie over to the woman at the front desk and drove to work.

work was hectic and short staffed as it has been all this week. at 4 i went to the gym and did my thing. but i did a condenced version of my thing because i needed to pick up my freshly nuetered cat before 6 and needed to meet barb at metrotown before 7:30. these three guys were hogging the bicep machine but i tried to work around them. another man commented to me that the seats were sticky and to him it was "weird." i didn't quite know what to say to that so naturally i let a small polite laugh/unintelligable agreement type vocalization out as i sat down at the leg curl machine. after the weights i did 13 minutes on the stair master and was pleased to see that i could go faster and stay at my target heart beat. the stair master is a known and documented cause of excessive forearm sweating in me. but i'm slowly mastering the stair master and the stair master can't stand it. speaking of mastering, one of the things i love about exercise is mastering myself. i love the feeling of mastering myself, of achieving. i love it and i discovered it late in life. in my twilight years. well ok, not that late, but in my mind later than others. like i confided in fatima, i'm a late bloomer. mulan's dad says that the blossom that blooms last is often the most fair. i'm just saying he has a point is all.

i was glad that i left the gym early because traffic on the way to the vet was not as accomadating as it had been earlier that morning. i got to the vet by quarter to six and after receiving a rapid instruction/information session with the lady at the front desk. the blond nurse that i like brought out my boy and handed him over to me while cooing "such a nice boy. such a happy cat." archie and i were face to face and he eagerly presssed his face against the bars and sniffed me. i take that to mean that he missed me. he missed me and he was glad to see me again. he began to mew softly in the car on the way home but his cries gained momentum as we went along.

i got gas.

i parked the car in front of the apartment. an issue of easy access to all doors. i had to pee really bad, and it's when you have to pee that nothing goes right for you. i dropped my purse in the trunk and everything spilled out. i dropped my ziplock of lip glosses on the ground and several rolled under the car. everything seemed to conspire against me. but tried to be undaunted. i crawled under the car to rescue my straying lipglosses. i stuffed my unruly belongings in my karey-look-alike gym bag and i grabbed my mewing neutered cat and my winter coat and my scarf and i marched into my apartment building, managed the keys and the unhelpful, in the way, nuisance doors and i got inside and dumped my cat and my stuff. archie, now a eunich cat of sorts, was now a safe companion to izzy and the brother and sister were reunited. it was a relief to allow them access to each other once again, for us and for them.

but i didn't think on it long. it wasn't long before i was changed out of my gym strip and on my way to silvercity metropolis. i made better time than anticipated for the second time that day and i beat barb. the plan had been for barb to beat me and to buy the tickets and then i would pay for the concession stand food stuffs. but my unexpected promptness made our action plan obsolete. we came up with a new plan. a plan to pay for ourselves and it worked quite well. we raced through the buying of the tickets and although barb started before me, made up some ground and we snatched our tickets from the slot at the exact same time. yes, a tie.

at the concession, barb didn't know what to get. she blatantly stood in line not knowing what to get and frankly it showed in the way she mumbled her order to the concession girl and in the many times she changed her mind. i don't like to compare and contrast barb and i when she comes out in such an unfavourable light, but i wouldn't be honest if i didn't admit that i was on the other hand, very decisive. i ordered a frozen yogurt and a hot dog. i paid seven something and but the girl only gave me the frozen yoghurt. she went on to take the next person's order (the previously mentioned mumbler, barb in fact.) but i stopped her with "hey! i thought i ordered a hot dog too!" "oh yeah." she forgot. she turned to get one only to come back empty handed. there were none ready and she was reluctantly preparing to refund my money. but i saved the day by asking for popcorn instead. according to barb i got a sweet deal. she said the hot dog was three something but that the popcorn was four something. i also got a container of ketchup seasoning and one of white cheddar seasoning. one for each pocket, i told barb.

how come they always fill the popcorn bag up so full? there is no way not to spill some of the popcorn. personally i'd be much happier if they left a border of bag above the popcorn and next time i go i'm going to ask for a partially filled bag. i feel very strongly that a bursting bag of popcorn is no joy at all. a joy is a bag of popcorn that does not spill and that is easy to carry. you always get too much to eat anyways.

speaking of too much, barb got a gigatic cup of grape kool aid with her popcorn. she also got two straws just for the purposes of sharing with me. bless her altruism. my straw was the short straw.

there was no one but us in the theatre for a long time, so we talked loudly and i threw popcorn at an imaginary no one in front of us. it was fun to have no theatre ettiquite requirements, but in the end another girl joined us and then a mom and a young girl. the five of us watched flicka together. barb and i enjoyed it immensely and both admitted to water works after it was over. "i cried like a baby." said barb as we walked out of the theatre. "my tears pooled in my clavicle!" i confessed freely. there's this one part that really got to me. it was a heart rending daddy daughter part.

Comments