pre connecting on the coast

tuesday evening we had some errands to do. heather wanted some fleece for quilts, i needed to go to the dollar store for my props. sarita and karey wanted mcdonald's. so we all climbed into karey's car and headed for the fraser area. the area of our errands. karey's been having trouble with her window in her car. the one side takes about 15 minutes (that's what it seems like anyways) to roll up. it only goes up a bit at a time. i guess there is something to be said about the roll-it-up yourself kind. my kind. anyways we went to the fabric place first and we had to let sarita and heather out before we found a parking spot but then karey's window was doing the slow climb so i waited with her and we talked. we made it in just in time to be with sarita and heather through the cashier experience. karey didn't roll down her window the rest of the errand trip and i think that that was a wise move on her part.

next was mcdonald's. heather was in front of me and while she was waiting for her burger she tasted her fries and asked the girl for some fresh ones. the girl was young and cute. she went over to the fry guy who was an older bald laughing man. he laughed in a little kid teehee kind of way when she asked for fresh fries. the funniest thing is when people don't take heather that seriously. she seems so surprised about it but then she has to be amused and annoyed at the same time. i enjoy it. anyways i got two cheeseburgers a large fries and a sundae to take the edge of the heat. karey and sarita were almost done their fast food by the time we got there but they waited patiently for us. karey pointed to a group of turbaned senior citizens all talking animatedly to each other and said she thought they were there every time she came there, which wasn't that often. and i piped up and told about the senior's club at my mcDonald's in burquitlam. boy that brought me back to the mcdonald's days. when we got up to go, sarita had this wet spot on her bum and amidst our laughter we saw a greenpepper sitting innocently on her seat. haha. she was so perplexed as to how it got there and she kept looking back at her bum. an old chinese man in the corner was quite entertained by the whole thing. sarita shrugged her shoulders at him and i smiled a big smile. he smiled back at me. we shared a silent moment of mirth.

next we scoured the dollar store for items to help me with my presentation visuals. as soon as we walked in sarita saw greeting cards and we lost her. but heather and karey helped me pick some stuff out and we found sarita wandering the aisles and we went home.

elicia was watching full house on channel ten. i watched it with her. it's so hilariously cheesie. after that elicia went out to weed the flower bed and i put in monsters inc and started on my props. it took me all night, but i was pretty proud of them when i was done. they were fun and a bit wacky like myself and to be reflected in one's props is a good thing, i thought.

so i woke up early to fold my newly washed laundry and pack it all. i had my rolling carry-on, karey's big nike duffel bag, my essence book bag, karey's backpack, the big framed thing i was giving mom and dad, and of course my purse and my props. sarita was driving me to work and taking my car back so it wouldn't stay parked at work for a week and a half and she helped me carry all my stuff out to the car. and she helped me carry it into the kitchen office too. and then she left and i made the pancakes for the wednesday morning pancake breakfast.

we made shepherd's pie at work that day and i was in the middle of it all, too busy to think much about the conference. lisa helped me pack mom and dad's present in cardboard so that it would survive the trip in our cargo van and then she helped me pack my props so they wouldn't get crushed. she's really good that way. at 11:15 we fed all the people going to the conference and then we had to get all our stuff out to the cargo van so they could load it. i was coming back on a second trip for some of my stuff when i realized that my purse was not present. right away i felt that i left it in my car behind the driver's seat where i always put it when i have someone in the passanger seat. and sarita drove the car to work and we were leaving that minute! panic. "liiiiiiiiiiisa!" i called. while i told her i left my purse in the car, my eyes bugged out and i said "what am i going to do??" lisa is a good friend and has my back once again. she was all "ok, do you want 30 dollars or a 100?" she quickly put some money in a little change purse she had, and supplied me with my choice of her lip glosses (all mine were in my purse) and she said i'd need some gum too. with that we were on our way.

everyone was already in the 15 passanger white van when i got there. they all groaned with me about my purse. my seat was way in the back with chris and i took it and sat there clutching my bookbag. we were on our way to the conference.

we were on the queen of alberni. it's an old old old ferry, but the good thing is it had the seats you could put your feet up on. there was about 10 of us (3 were already in nanaimo)four staff and six members. graham an intense little man who looks and talks like richard dryfuss and is passionate about ferries and about digital recording went off to record everything about the trip (while we were waiting he made us laugh by reciting off by heart every little announcement you hear on the ferry in the same kind of voice. he's hilarious sometimes) beryl, an older sweetheart type woman from sri lanka who often wears her hair in two grey low ponytails quickly nodded off. i took out my gramma b crossword book and una and lisa m. quickly begged me to rip out pages for them. i let them have their choice of puzzles and that's the way we spent most of our ferry ride.

once in nanaimo it was my job to direct us to the dorchester. i was a little nervous about it because i was all "yah i know nanaimo like the back of my hand" but i don't actually know downtown that well, but i got us there without a hitch. we got out of the van and there was dave m. and suzanne and lin to welcome us. i made it to connecting on the coast the western regional conference of iccd clubhouses.

Comments