the black bird--a rook bird I

i gave up the fondue party and worked wednesday night instead of friday so that i could go to the rook tournament, but thursday night karey said she didn't feel like going. she said she was so tired and i could tell she's been feeling burnt out. a little reclusive. i was tired too, and dealing with a case of after the holidays blues, but i wanted to go. the last rook party at the burgess' was so fun. i like how they have a mix of single adults and their married friends, who are all basically leaders in the stake. it's a good mix, i think. still, i didn't think i wanted to go without karey, so i said it was up to her. friday afternoon i was a'snoozin in my bed when karey came in to discuss the rook tourney. she reluctantly decided to go. half of me (the rook playing party goer) was glad and the other half of me (the sleepy, cozy in the covers girl) was reluctant. but i got out of the covers. my snoozin in that environment could not be recaptured so i stumbled out to the couch and curled up under the luxury fleece blankie and layed my lids down and and eased my mind into blankness. however it wasn't long before randy arrived. i curled up my legs so he could sit at the end of the couch but tried to continue my stay in snoozeville. "are you ready laura?" karey asked in the way that means i don't think you are, now is the time to do it. randy's arrival had set her in motion. "yes" i muttered from snoozeville. i had seen my reflection on the way to the couch and it seemed respectable to me. a few more blissful moments and then randy tapped me. i reluctantly raised my head in inquiry. he silently pointed to me and then pointed in an upwards motion. what was he getting at? i was amused at his antics and so i didn't begrudge him his interruption of my snoozin, but i laid my head back down, groaned and snuggled in. soon however i could tell that karey was almost ready. so i said goodbye to my friends the snoozers of snoozeville and stood up and put on some lipgloss. "i thought you were ready!" protested karey. " i AM." i shot back. lip gloss takes one second, two at the most and they were still bustling about directions and fighting about who was going to drive. randy said when he didn't know the way he didn't like to drive us because we made him feel stupid. that accusation left me blank. i couldn't recall ever making fun of him because he didn't know the way, although now that i think of it i do recall one time when we teased him because he didn't seem to know where main street was in relation to cambie and granville and oak and all that, but that was mostly karey in my recollection. anyways we forced him to drive despite his fears of mockery.

we did get a little lost but made it there no problem after that. we were among the first and arrived at the same time as the eltons (bishop elton was gram's and verna's bishops when they died.) i'll follow evan's example and report on the persons who attended the party, just for argument's sake: me, karey and randy, barb and nikki, chandra and vicki, and letitia and her fiance gary. those were the singles. the marrieds were: brother and sister burgess of course, preseident and sister walker, bishop and sister elton, and bishop and sister bateman. it was a smaller party than the last time but there was lots of good food, so ...

Comments