a little about my sunday

well this is my third post of the day so people like greenius beanius can quite slandering my posting practices. hear that beanbum??? dern rights.

i just had this alaming message from snappi on my msn: Amay says:
you're lucky you're not here; my fist would fair be bursting forth.

hahaha...ahhhhh. isn't she poetic and darn right OUTRAGEOUS??

outrageous is my new spotlight word. it needs to be said more in response to other's actions. anyways about my sunday, it's been lovely. i woke up and read my six pages of book of mormon plus the three i was behind. it covered the king benjamin's speech chapters which are always good for some spiritual feeding, insight and inspiration. lately i've been thinking a lot about serving and practical loving and how i want to do more of it, how i want to be more of that sort of person. and the king benjamin chapters, well they go hand in hand with that kind of desire. he says that to keep a remission of your sins you need to live a service filled life. the talks in church were good today too. baz spoke of the small and simple things that lead to the great things coming to pass (one of my favourite themes in the scriptures), mike spoke of the peace that saviour wields against all sorts of storms and demons (he used master the tempest is raging scripture/hymn) and sean sla. spoke about humility. everybody gave good talks that helped me think about their topics in new ways and make additional personal connections. not only that but the hymns were good. i mean good in that not the same old ones we always sing. the opening hymn was beautiful zion which isn't very commonly sung and which i love because katie and i used to always sing it together on sunday afternoons. it was one she knew well on the piano and so she could sing and play at the same time. it was one that our voices blended well on too. i love to sing best when supported by a sister's alto. i sing easily then, like i'm resting my melody on her alto and i'm comfortable and in my right place. it's not only the alto. i love to hear my brother's bass and tenor and the unison of my sisters' soprano. i love to sing in the loudness of my family and sing out without selfconscience. the times with katie on sunday afternoons are special, sacred even, memories to me. we just loved to be together and to sing and it didn't matter if we didn't sound that great, or what we sang really. there is so much of our family love and togetherness--unity and testimony tied up with music. mom and sometimes dad or gram or andrea would sing to us when they put us to bed and to me that said "i love you" and "you're safe." and there was almost always a time on every road trip i remember when it was time for me to say to dad "let's sing." and we would sing rounds, and the deacon went down and the quartermaster's store and hymns and dad would sing his regulars like two little boys, and old shep and somehow this always meant to me that we were together and we loved each other and that i was a part of the whole of the family. i loved the little things like how andrea would harmonize when we sang you are my sunshine and how mom would add the extra trills to songs like down in the valley and how layne and jordan and evan would improvise during quarter master's store and we built on eachother and laughed with each other and all this just from singing beautiful zion. there's so much more too. i'm not the best singer in the family although i'm one of the loudest, but i've reaped the benefits of the messages it carried to me from the time i sat on dad's knee with my ear on his chest while he sang, to the time we dejectedly collected wood on the steep mountain side but ended up having fun because we sang fountains of wayne together to the time that right after we dropped karey off at the mtc and i felt a little sad and lonely and gram and i sat at the piano at eltie's house and she played hymns while i sang, to the time that we sang to gram kneeling around her bed as she lay dying to many more times. i guess what i'm saying is that family singing means love to me, means i belong, means the gospel is true, means a lot of good things.

Comments