the wandering eye--"i'm over here! i'm over here!" ha ha

went to work with straight hair today. oh boy. what a commotion that starts. none of the members like it. they all say "i like it better curly." and they sometimes look sad. i have to reassure them that the curls will be back the next day. the most common question directed at me today was "what happened to your hair?/ what did you do to your hair?" who knew when i felt like a little change sunday morning that it would alter everyone's equilibrium so much? i guess donne was right. no man is an island.

lisa introduced me to a new to me phrase today. warning: some people may find this crude and gross, if that's you, skip to the next paragraph. she said it as we were talking in the office and she was taking a tampon out of her purse. "auntie flow needs a cigarette." she declared. "what?" i said somewhat confused, but it only took a second for her actions and her words, which at first seemed incongruous, to complement each other and make perfect sense. "ohhhh!" i said, and laughed. i just remembered it now and ran into the bedroom to tell karey before she went to sleep laughing the whole way. "gross." she said as she laughed delightedly. i then turned to elicia's room and knocked keeping the giggles in. "entre vous" she invited in a very typical elicia way. with her it took a little more explaining as she thought i said anti-flow, instead of auntie flow, but her reaction was the same. "gross!" she laughed and i heard karey giggle in response from behind our bedroom door where she was standing by the closet. i don't know why sharing that saying was so fun for me but it was.

i'm giddy because gladys gave us the keys today and me and karey, heather and elicia all went over to the house. it felt so ours and we went from room to room looking at everything all over again. it was heather's first time seeing it. then we numbered the rooms and drew numbers from a pouch in my purse. i realized for the first time that the kitched bedroom that i wanted with a window into the kitchen (which we discovered opens, by the way) had no closet, which was a real downer to me, because somehow that room seems right for me, and no one else really wants it. so i turned my back on it, (it was #3) and hoped for #1 most of all (the biggest of the nice upstairs rooms) or #2 (the smaller but still nice upstairs room.). we jung ken po'ed to see who could draw first and i won. i put my hand into the pursepouch, squeezed my eyes shut screwed up my face and wished, and drew out #2. i was pretty happy with that. karey was next, drawing out #3, one that she really didn't want, and then elicia who got #1 (lucky duck). we had previously agreed that heather could have the bigger downstairs room because that was the only one with a window that the cat could come through, and no one else really liked that room. sarita, who wasn't there, was left with the small basement room. i, thankfully wouldn't have gotten that room because my bed's too big. the thing is, the more i thought about it, the more i realized that i actually would like the kitchen bedroom over the one i picked, if only it had a closet. it has a lot of light, it's cooler (which i like) with my own thermostat. i wouldn't mind being next to the kitchen and in fact, i kinda like the quirky window into the kitchen and it's bigger. so i told karey if i can find a wardrobe that i'm comfortable with and that i like, i'll trade her rooms. we'll see.

today i bought the orchid. i chose a snowy white drooping over one. it was really hard to make the decision and i circled the booth over and over looking carefully at each one and thinking about the possibilities and trying to decide what i really liked. the chinese lady who owned the booth stood beside me for some time and i asked her questions about the different kinds and she answered me but never expressed her opinion until i made my final choice. "oh! dat is the best one!" she enthused, like it had been pent up inside her for the whole time i was trying to make up my mind. she told me it was the waterfall kind and that flowers keep forming on the end until it droops all the way down to the base. that gladdens me even more. i peppered her and her husband with questions and they were very helpful. i told them that i had bought one last week as a present but that i wanted to keep it. "i love orchids" i couldn't help but say. "me too!" said the orchid lady. i left my new baby in my new house sitting in a window ready to recieve the first morning light.

Comments